Sorry for the bad formatting on the original post. I cut and pasted and had to paste plain text so all formatting was lost.
One bit of clarification.
I can successfully engineer the surrogate PK’s, engineer the FK’s using the PK’s but cannot get the unique key to contain the surrogate keys in the child table.
should have read "cannot get the unique key to contain the surrogate key FK columns from the relationships"
1 person found this helpful
you can try DM 4.0 EA1 - problems should be solved there. About naming - you always can apply naming standards using "Apply Naming standards to keys and constraints" wizard available in context menu for relational model in browser.
I have been switching between SD 4 EA1 and SDDM 3.3 trying to get things to work and trying out the template table for adding audit columns (really nice!).
Concerning Problem1. No matter what settings I use and whether I use SDDM 3.3 or SDI cannot get the FK columns to be included in the UK even though the relations are included in the UID in the entitty. When I open the properties of the child table and click on the naming standards button and click ok it complains that the UK is not complete. I add the FK columns to the UK and all is well including the naming standards.
Concerning Problem 2. Sometimes it engineers the names for FK's from the template and sometimes it doesn't. Didn't see a pattern. Gave up trying and used Naming Standards button. I still had to change a few.
The good new is, that after make changes needed in UK's and Column names of 18 tables, I know have everything deployed to Test except FK Indexes. I think I have to do those by hand.
No matter what settings I use and whether I use SDDM 3.3 or SDI cannot get the FK columns to be included in the UK even though the relations are included in the UID in the entity
DM 3.3 doesn't retain relationships in UK in case they are set to use surrogate key. So to get it working you need to put them again in UK and then engineering should work properly.
I know have everything deployed to Test except FK Indexes. I think I have to do those by hand.
There is a script that can do it for you - at least you can try it and change the result if don't like it. If you don't need those indexes as real objects in the model then you can select to be generated automatically in DDL
I did notice that sometimes the relationships were gone. I engineered the tables, went back to the entity and the relations were still in the UK. I once again engineered without deleting anything and still no FK's in UK of the child.
Thanks for the tip on DDL generating indexes. Having them in the model is not important as long as they are generated for deployment. Found the preference and set it.
I once again engineered without deleting anything and still no FK's in UK of the child.
There is a problem in synchronization in DM 4.0 EA1. This will be fixed for production release.