This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 9, 2013 11:40 AM by user13283765 RSS

Oracle Express Edition Listener Issues

user13283765 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hello All,

I'm having a couple problems with my listener. I'm trying to startup my listener on a different port then then I installed it on (1521) and the listener refuses to startup.

Was the work around to this?

Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=svr-ex-01.dbsoft.local)(PORT=1531)))
TNS-12541: TNS:no listener
 TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error
  TNS-00511: No listener
   Linux Error: 111: Connection refused

I refused to believe that I would need to reinstall XE just to change the port!?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely

Jan Stembera

• 1. Re: Oracle Express Edition Listener Issues
    EdStevens Guru

user13283765 wrote:

Hello All,

I'm having a couple problems with my listener. I'm trying to startup my listener on a different port then then I installed it on (1521) and the listener refuses to startup.

Was the work around to this?

1. Connecting to (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=svr-ex-01.dbsoft.local)(PORT=1531))) 
    2. TNS-12541: TNS:no listener 
    3. TNS-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error 
    4.   TNS-00511: No listener 
    5.    Linux Error: 111: Connection refused 

I refused to believe that I would need to reinstall XE just to change the port!?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely

Jan Stembera

You don't "install" the listener on a port.  You start a listener process, and it determines from what it finds in listener.ora what port it will try to listen on.  If there is no listener.ora, it will use the default of 1521.

Take a look at the error stack.  What does line 5 suggest?  An error being returned by the operating system and reported back through the lsnrctl utility.  Hmm..  maybe a firewall issue?  Blocking port 1531?

• 2. Re: Oracle Express Edition Listener Issues
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director

In addition to Ed's comments, pl also see the docs - Managing Network Connections

HTH
    Srini

• 3. Re: Oracle Express Edition Listener Issues
    user13283765 Newbie

Hello, Thanks. I did not lot it again, and when at it for so long that I failed to see a CLEAR error in formating in the description list. JS

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points