This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 2, 2013 3:20 AM by mvanle RSS

What is APEX Listener with Tomcat used for ?

mvanle Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hello

I am not sure about what the APEX Listener is used for and what advantages it provides (I've read the Admin Guides but need a bit more guidance).

Is it just a connector that allows people to use Oracle APEX with different application servers like Weblogic, JBoss, Glassfish and Tomcat ? (so people don't have to deploy separate servers just to host APEX ?)

I've seen stuff about integrating APEX with E-Business Suite. I was wondering if APEX can be integrated with JEE ?

If I use the APEX Listener with Tomcat, can I run JSP/servlets in APEX ?

Would I be able to share and modify APEX's session state in a servlet (eg. have APEX branch to a JSP/servlet and have the ability to call APEX APIs from the JSP/servlet) ?

• 1. Re: What is APEX Listener with Tomcat used for ?
    srbonham1 Explorer

please disregard my all lowercase message as my shift keys are broken.

the main advantage to using the apex listener is that you can deploy it on any webserver that will run java servlets.  after configuring the connection you can then connect to any remote database.  that means you can run a local webserver on your machine and make a connection with a db anywhere on the web. on some of our setups we will use a server for our db and a server for our webserver so that we hide the fact that our data does not reside on the same machine...

as for sharing apex session id... as long as you can connect to the db with the jsp servlet i dont see why you cant share session state.  you can query apex's metadata to find this information

-shawn.

• 2. Re: What is APEX Listener with Tomcat used for ?
    TexasApexDeveloper Guru

The listener is the product that allows APEX to communicate with the App Server.. The supported App servers are WebLogic & GlassFish (for version 2.x of the listner, version 1.x allows the usage of Tomcat and OC4J)..

In the prior database/app server setup you would use the HTTP server (Apache) with a mod called Mod_plsql to communicate between the app server and the database.

With the APEX Listener 2.x you can use it to host RESTful web-services and allow your APEX apps to import Excel workbooks directly and also print PDF files similar to FOP.

You really Can't share session state with other apps.. Why exactly would you want to do this??

Re: Run java applets in APEX, No you can run them in the app server.. Apex can work with Oracle EBS, there is a posted whitepaper on this from Oracle:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/apex/learnmore/apex-ebs-extension-white-paper-345780.pdf

Thank you,

Tony Miller

SmartDog Services

Austin, TX

• 3. Re: What is APEX Listener with Tomcat used for ?
    mvanle Newbie

You really Can't share session state with other apps.. Why exactly would you want to do this??

It would be useful to be able to branch out of an APEX page to an external JSP/servlet, do some calculations in Java and then return results to the APEX session with "f?p=" URL (knowing that APEX has been properly updated). It's a way of combining other web applications with APEX, for example passing data from a Tomcat application to be manipulated by APEX Websheets where the user can take advantage of the APEX UI.

Instead of having APEX running in its own little universe, we could mix and match various features of APEX like Software as a Service (SaaS).

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points