4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2013 1:48 AM by d7e4a448-7566-4dab-a85c-37d0dae91de7 RSS

Oracle DB 10g XE on Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit

d7e4a448-7566-4dab-a85c-37d0dae91de7

Hello to everybody!

I have and old pc with Windows Server 2003 (32 bit) where i've installed Oracle DB 10g XE. Everything works fine.

Now i have to migrate the DB from that old machine to a new one with Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit.

I've tryied to install the Oracle DB 10g XE into the new server but, after installation is finished, i wasn't able to open the DB homepage at http://127.0.0.1:8080/apex. It said "This page can't be displayed". I try with SQLPLUS but after i insert the admin credentials i obtain these lines:

ERROR:

ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

ORA-27101: shared memory realm does not exist

Where can be the problem?

• 1. Re: Oracle DB 10g XE on Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit
          clcarter

>> ORA-01034: ORACLE not available

Database is not running. Most likely the installer did not complete all its tasks, it can happen.

For windows, the database service has to be set up (see Start/Run/services.msc), services started, installer creates the database, and quite a few other setup chores. If the database creation fails, all the other stuff is not relevant.

Under the <drive:>oraclexe folder there *should* be a datafiles (*.DBF) files somewhere. Can't recall the exact location for 10g. Try file explorer and a search for *.dbf files, that will probably come up empty.

Note the requirements, at Oracle&amp;reg; Database Express Edition it calls for x86, not x64. The 11g XE also has lots of trouble getting a successful install on x64 as well, note the Download page states "does not work on x64" although some folks have gotten it to work.Try the deinstall steps, and use a right click/run as Administrator that *might* get past the UAC glitch that happens on the later OS versions.

• 2. Re: Oracle DB 10g XE on Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit

I tried to install the version 11g XE and apparently seems to work. I've seen that there isn't avaiable a 64 bit version of the XE. Do you think that i can run into some trouble installing the 11g on Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit?

What's the difference between XE and standard edition?

• 3. Re: Oracle DB 10g XE on Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit
              clcarter

A "seems to work" and actually "does work" can be two different things, especially with x64 as so many experience a failed install, enough that oracle marked the program as "does not work on x64". Since there is no Oracle Support available for XE this forum is about the only official channel to get help on problems.

XE has limitations at a total 1GiB memory footprint, 10GiB user data limit (11g), and quite a few standard and enterprise edition features are not available (see the licensing page at Oracle&amp;reg; Database Express Edition and processor operations are limited to one CPU core, multi threading is not possible.

• 4. Re: Oracle DB 10g XE on Windows Server 2008 R2 64bit

But the question is that we want to use a free Oracle db solution and with the XE version we have found very well in our old server (windows server 2003 - 32 bit). Is it the standard version free?

Do you advise me to give up the XE version of windows server 2008 R2 - 64bit?