5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 13, 2013 10:58 AM by Srini Chavali-Oracle RSS

12c client 32bit installation  OUI-10151

Fa

Hi Forum, I have installed  the new oracle 12c (x64) database server on the Windows 7 (x64) OS. When I try to install the Oracle 12c client-32bit in the same machine, during the installation i get the following error: "OUI-10151:There was an error while loading library: ntActionLib" However I could install the 12c 32bit client  in InstantClient(214.0 MB) Mode! but I can not install it in Runtime(735.0 MB) mode. My oracle Base: "C:\Oracle\base" My Oracle Home:  "C:\Oracle\base\product\12.1.0\dbhome_1" It worth to mention that I have installed both the db server and client-32bit in the same oracle home! Any advice is appreciated. Thank you

• 1. Re: 12c client 32bit installation  OUI-10151
          Srini Chavali-Oracle

Pl identify which exact version of Win 7 (Home versions are not supported). You need to install the 32-bit and 64-bit software into separate ORACLE_HOME locations. See MOS Doc 781432.1 identified in the Client Install Guide - Oracle Database Client Preinstallation Tasks

HTH
          Srini

• 2. Re: 12c client 32bit installation  OUI-10151
            Fa

Thank you for you input. My Win 7 is Ultimate. Where exactly in the documentation it is mentioned to install the client in a separate oracle home!?

ّFurthermore how am I supposed to connect to my 64-bit server using sqlplus?!

Because when I use the 32-bit client I get the error,

ERROR:

ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist

P.S.

I changed my oracle_home environment variable to a new location for the client!

• 3. Re: 12c client 32bit installation  OUI-10151
              EdStevens

Fa wrote:

Thank you for you input. My Win 7 is Ultimate. Where exactly in the documentation it is mentioned to install the client in a separate oracle home!?

It is generally understood that installations of 32-bit software have to be kept separate from it's 64-bit equivalent.  I was rather surprised when I did a search of the docs to show you the citation and couldn't find it.  So if you are a newbie, fair enough question. 

ّFurthermore how am I supposed to connect to my 64-bit server using sqlplus?!

Because when I use the 32-bit client I get the error,

ERROR:

ORA-12545: Connect failed because target host or object does not exist

Hard to know exactly since you didn't show us how you invoked sqlplus and what connection information you provided.  Off-hand I'd say your tnsnames.ora has bad HOST= information

see: http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/sqlnet_overview/  (Help! I can’t connect to my database  )

see: http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/16/sqlnet_client_cfg/  ( Help! I can’t connect to my database (part duex) )

P.S.

I changed my oracle_home environment variable to a new location for the client!

• 4. Re: 12c client 32bit installation  OUI-10151
                Fa

I managed to solve the problem by doing the following tasks:

1-install the 32-bit client in another oracle_home rather than the oracle db server 64-bit.

2- set the oracle_home  variable to that of 32-bit

3- update the windows path variable and replace  the oracle home bin folder with  that of 32-bit binaries. (e.g.  path=path;C:\oracle\base32bit\product\12.1.0\dbhome_1\bin)

4-open the sqlplus and connect using this connection string:   sqlplus user/password@dbname        e.g.  sqlplus admin/123@orcl

Note that, when you stop and then start the oracle db server  listener, change the oracle_home to that of 64-bit  (set oracle_home=C:\oracle\base64bit\product\12.1.0\dbhome_1)

I hope it helps someone else.

Regards

• 5. Re: 12c client 32bit installation  OUI-10151
                  Srini Chavali-Oracle

Where exactly in the documentation it is mentioned to install the client in a separate oracle home!?

It is mentioned in the MOS Doc referenced above

HTH
                  Srini