This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2013 6:10 AM by JavierFranciscoRuiz RSS

Duplicate - multiple backup location

891445 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I am on oracle 11gr2 and doing an duplicate without connecting to primary or catalog.

My full backup is spread across multiple location.

Is there any way to specify multiple location in the duplicate backup location  ??

Duplicate database to DEVDB30 BACKUP LOCATION '/backup01/prod/rman' NOFILENAMECHECK;

The other workaround is to create soft link;  But i just want to know if there is any way to specify multiple location in the RMAN command itself.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Duplicate - multiple backup location
    JavierFranciscoRuiz Explorer

How will the duplicate command work with out connecting to primary or the catalog? The location of the backup files are based on where they were backed up to there is no way to change that unless you move the files and recatalog the new location.

• 2. Re: Duplicate - multiple backup location
    891445 Newbie

javier,

It is possible in 11gr2 (Read the docs).

-------

Looks like  if the backups are spread in different location, then we need to atleast connect to CATOLOG to tell duplicate about the backup location. (Or the Soft link also works).

• 3. Re: Duplicate - multiple backup location
    EdStevens Guru

JavierFranciscoRuiz wrote:

How will the duplicate command work with out connecting to primary or the catalog? The location of the backup files are based on where they were backed up to there is no way to change that unless you move the files and recatalog the new location.

From Database Backup and Recovery User's Guide at Duplicating a Database

Backup-Based Duplication

In backup-based duplication, RMAN creates the duplicate database by using pre-existing RMAN backups and copies. This technique of duplication uses one of the following mutually exclusive subtechniques:

• Duplication without a target database connection, RMAN obtains metadata about backups from a recovery catalog.
    • Duplication without a target database connection and without a recovery catalog. RMAN obtains metadata about where backups and copies reside from BACKUP LOCATION.
    • Duplication with a target database connection. RMAN obtains metadata about backups from the target database control file or from the recovery catalog.
  • 4. Re: Duplicate - multiple backup location

I have not read where you can specify multiple back location during a duplicate with out connecting to a target or catalog.

Based on EdStevens reply I learned something new that you do not even need to have a connection to target or catalog rman will use the backup location.

• 5. Re: Duplicate - multiple backup location

Go to the link that EdStevens provided in his reply and look at the section Making Disk Backups Accessible to the Auxiliary Instance

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points