This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2013 5:19 PM by Dude! RSS

Creation of ASM disk for OUI

vwbond Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I need to install a Oracle Database in order to install Enterprise Manager Cloud Control 12c.

Need the database to use a ASM disk.

I used the following command to create the disk, per the Oracle Database Installation Guide.

#/usr/sbin/oracleasm createdisk DISK1 /dev/sdd1

#oracleasm listdisks

DISK1

However, when running the OUI for Oracle Database 12c (understand 11.2.0.3 is certified for Cloud Control), step 7

errors INS-30517 when attempting to select "Oracle Automatic Storage Management" for "Storage type".

Researched the error at this location but no cause or action was provided.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E16655_01/server.121/e26079/common_errormessages.htm

INS-30517: Automatic Storage Management software is not configured on this system.

The database install guide states that I need to ensure the "disk discovery string" is set the "ORCL:*" or is left empy ("") so the installer discovers these disks.

It doesn't show how to confirm or change the settings.

At this point I'm at a stopping point.

• 1. Re: Creation of ASM disk for OUI
    Dude! Guru

All ASMLib installations require the oracleasmlib and oracleasm-support packages. The oracleasm kernel driver is included in the Oracle UEK kernel. Perhaps you are missing the oracleasmlib package. You can download it from:

Oracle Linux: Oracle ASMLib | Oracle Technology Network

Oracleasmlib is not necessary for ASM to work, but it contains software necessary for Linux oracleasm, including the /usr/sbin/oracleasm-discover utility, which the Oracle installer used in the previous 11g version to detect available ASM volumes.

• 2. Re: Creation of ASM disk for OUI
    vwbond Newbie

I have both packages installed (oracleasm-support & oracleasmlib) along with kernel 2.6.39-400.109.5.el6uek.x86_64.

Been told this morning that I must install something called "Oracle grid infrastructure" in order to use ASM before installing the database software.

This is crazy to me because I have already used the packages mentioned above to create a ASM drive.

• 3. Re: Creation of ASM disk for OUI
    Dude! Guru

Oracle ASMLib takes care of device management on the OS side, such as device naming, scanning and preparing disks for ASM use. In order to have any database use ASM, you must install and setup a Oracle ASM instance. Other databases will then connect to the ASM instance to access ASM disk groups.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points