In this case, the error was resolved by restarting the PC. Something must have gotten a lock on a folder Oracle was trying to access somehow, and nothing was telling in the task manager.
Should have known to check before posting something like this.
This hint did the trick! Thanks.
I had the same situation, when I was running the installer 2nd time (installing both 32-bit and 64-bit drivers for some reason). I found following articles on metalink:
- "[INS-30131] The initial setup that is required to run the installation program validation was not successful " Error While Installing 12.1 (Doc ID 1569962.1)
- Installation of 11gR2 on Windows Fails Checking Requirements (Doc ID 1133495.1)
Neither of them was helpful. After some time of poking around I noticed service OracleRemExecServiceV2 running from location C:\Users\<MyUsername>\AppData\Local\Temp\2\\oraremservicev2\RemoteExecService.exe - I stopped it and re-ran Oracle client installer. It solved the problem for me.