2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2013 8:54 AM by Jason_A RSS

Stopping CRS when rebooting node, lose connection to 2nd node

Jason_A

First, a word of warning.  I'm not an Oracle DBA, I'm a MS-SQL Server DBA.  I'm helping the Oracle DBA at our employer, as he's waiting to get his network access.

That being said, here's our environment, and what I'm trying to find the cause, and a possible resolution to:

Environment:  OS:  Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 (x64)

Oracle:  11.2.0.2 (GRID and databases), 10.X (databases, sorry I don't recall the exact version)

In order to apply these OS updates, we RDP into the servers.

What we're experiencing is, when we go to install an OS patch, we first shutdown the databases on the servers, and then bring down CRS.  When CRS shuts down, we drop our connection to one of the two nodes, and are unable to reconnect *EXCEPT* from the other node.  So if I try to RDP from my workstation, it fails, but from node1 I can.  I suspect (and as I have OS patches to load this weekend will try to confirm) that the RDP between the nodes in this situation is going through the hearbeat connection, rather than our intranet.

I've not thought to check the Windows Event logs to see if there's anything there, but will check that this weekend as well.

Mainly, I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and if so, what was the cause, or did you not find a cause?

Thank you,

Jason A.