3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2013 6:39 AM by MrMonza RSS

Communication with dhcpagent failed

MrMonza
      I get this error on certain ipadm commands (those that deal with DHCP, not surprisingly).
      The exact text is "Communication with dhcpagent failed".
      This response comes very quickly from the ipadm command.

I've tried the following:

* rebooting the zone. (the zone uses exclusive IP). Didn't help.
      * Kill the dhcpagent and restart it.. Didn't help.
      * Restarting the dhcpagent with debug enabled:

/sbin/dhcpagent -d2 -f -v &

I can see no output from dhcpagent so it seems to me that the request from ipadm never reaches dhcpagent.

If I do
      $ netadm enable -p ncp DefaultFixed
      I get:
      ncp 'DefaultFixed' is already enabled

(which is what I expect network automagic is turned off on this host)

What to do ?

I've had this problem a few times. Previously I believe I've been able to fix the problem with a power cycle of all network equipment as well as the Solaris box itself. But that's not really a solution is it?

OS is Solaris 11.1.
        • 1. Re: Communication with dhcpagent failed
          Dave Miner-Oracle
          I'd start by posting the output of zonecfg -z <zone> info ipadm show-addr and an example of the command you're trying to run. That might provide some clues.
          • 2. Re: Communication with dhcpagent failed
            MrMonza

I have the same problem.

I believe this message may arise as a result of not executing as root (or other privileged user). When I do this I can see this in /var/adm/messages:

Aug 19 12:50:17 testhost1 /sbin/dhcpagent[16728]: [ID 928213 daemon.warning] ipc_event: privileged ipc command (extend) attempted on net2
            Aug 19 12:55:59 testhost1 /sbin/dhcpagent[16728]: [ID 928213 daemon.warning] ipc_event: privileged ipc command (drop) attempted on net2
            Aug 19 12:57:58 testhost1 /sbin/dhcpagent[16728]: [ID 928213 daemon.warning] ipc_event: privileged ipc command (release) attempted on net2

So instead of getting a sensible error message back from ipadm command you get "Communication with dhcpagent failed instead". That sucks!

However I also get the error sometimes even if I'm root. It seems to me that the message "Communication with dhcpagent failed" can mean all sorts of things.

Like you I'm also searching for a solution that will get me out of the problem. Like you I have also previously been through the whole power cycling circus when I have this error (and that works!) but as you say it is really not a solution.

Now I'm eager to get to the bottom of this.

• 3. Re: Communication with dhcpagent failed
              MrMonza

I've managed to get away with "only" booting the zone that had the problem.  Didn't have to power cycle.

Not a solution though.