5 Replies Latest reply: Aug 19, 2013 7:18 AM by Srini Chavali-Oracle RSS

Database migration using datapump

QuaNong

Is it correct that when using datapump to migrate oracle db from 1 platfrom to a different platform, the steps are:

1/ Fully expdp the database

2/ import everything into a new platform except the system schema, is it correct ?

• 1. Re: Database migration using datapump
          Nikolay Savvinov

Hi,

you just import the full database:

impdp sys/syspwd full='Y' file=fulldbdump.dmp

Best regards,

Nikolay

• 2. Re: Database migration using datapump
            Alvaro

Use the FULL=Y clause it will export your whole database except for the dictionary schemas.

You might wanna look into parallel options to speed up work. Also, don't forget that you will need pre-create the tablespaces, or you can remap the schemas and tablespaces to new ones if you want.

• 3. Re: Database migration using datapump
              QuaNong

I need to clarify the my question, then pls re-confirm this for me.

Question: migrate an Oracle from solaris to linux with 2 cases: 1/ the Oracle versions are the same. 2/ the Oracle versions are not the same: from version 10 to 11.

1/ If the database versions are the same, then do I import everything with system schema or without system schema ?

2/  If the database versions are NOT the same, then do I import everything with system schema or without system schema ?

• 4. Re: Database migration using datapump
                Alvaro

System/SYS schema is not exported. EVER. It's the data dictionary.

Realize that you are migrating your data to another database, not exporting/importing a 100% copy bit by bit of your database. For that you can use other strategies.

Export/Import is for migrating your data to another database, which can be on another platform, version, etc.

1/ If the database versions are the same, then do I import everything with system schema or without system schema ?

2/  If the database versions are NOT the same, then do I import everything with system schema or without system schema ?

Versions are irrelevant when deciding if you are doing a FULL=Y or not. On both cases you should expdp FULL=Y.

• 5. Re: Database migration using datapump
                  Srini Chavali-Oracle

Pl see the documentation - Moving Data Using Oracle Data Pump

HTH
                  Srini