We are pleased to announce the availability of Oracle VM Server for SPARC 3.1. The new release delivers significant virtual networking performance improvements, more flexibility to configure I/O virtualization, and further enhancements for cross-CPU secure live migration to help customers take advantage of the massive thread scale offered by SPARC servers and the Oracle Solaris operating system.
See the key features and benefits delivered in Oracle VM Server for SPARC 3.1:
- Virtual network performance improvements: Significantly improve the virtual networking performance up to 5 times faster. For example, guest to external network approaches wire-speed at ~9Gb/s; while for the guest to guest within the same host, it's measured up to 16Gb/s. For more details, read the blog.
- Dynamic Single-Root I/O Virtualization (SR-IOV): Bringing configuration flexibility to I/O virtualization with native I/O throughput. For more details, read the blog.
- Cross-CPU secure live migration enhancements: Perform secure live migration across different generations of SPARC servers, including the new SPARC T5 and SPARC M5. For more details, read the blog.
- Extends the Direct I/O and SR-IOV features to non-Primary root domains. For more details, read the blog.
- Adds InfiniBand device support to the SR-IOV feature in addition to the Ethernet devices.
- Adds the Fault Management Architecture (FMA) blacklisting feature. When FMA detects faulty CPU or memory resources, Oracle VM Server for SPARC places them on a blacklist. A faulty resource that is on the blacklist cannot be reassigned to any domains until FMA marks it as being repaired.
- Adds a recovery mode feature that automatically recovers domain configurations that cannot be booted because of faulty or missing resources.
- Adds the ldmpower command to show per-domain, power-consumption information.
- Adds support for VNICs on virtual networks.
Read the blog to learn the in-depth details of the new release and how to upgrade to the latest release. Please review the What's New section and the documentation about specific details of required and minimum software and supported platforms.
Visit the download page for instructions to download the required software.