This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 22, 2013 2:37 AM by rukbat RSS

Question about SunStudio v12.3 and compiling on multicore multithreaded T5240

user4485593 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I purchased the first multicore/multithreaded server for our company to replace SunFire V240 and v445.  The server I got is T5240 with 2x4 core 1.2GHz CPUS.

I installed SunStudio v12.3 and compiled mysql v5.5.19, which took an hour.  When I compiled on a SunFire v240 with 2 1.5G CPUs, the the compile took 1/2hour.  Now I know the single CPU on the 5240 is smaller than the v240 but I thought it would be faster on the 5240. I used the same compile script (see below).

Is compiling a program just use a single CPU no matter what the capabilities?  Is there an option I can pass to have it use all the server resources so it can compile faster?   This is a web server and I want to make sure all the programs I compile can utilize all the capabilities of the cores and threads. 

If this is not the forum for this, any suggestions on where I can get help with this would be appreciated.

Thank you.

-----------------------------------  mysql compile script -------------------------------

#!/bin/sh

PATH=/opt/SUNWspro/bin:/usr/ccs/bin:/usr/sfw/bin:/usr/local/bin:.:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/ucb:/etc:/usr/local/cmake/bin; export PATH

CC=cc; export CC

CXX=CC; export CXX

/usr/local/cmake/bin/cmake . -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/local/mysql -DMYSQL_DATADIR=/home1/mysql_data -DSYSCONFDIR=/etc -DWITH_INNOBASE_STORAGE_ENGINE=1

-----------------------------------

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points