This discussion is archived
7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 23, 2013 11:47 AM by user761257 RSS

Undeployed plugin leaves remnants in repository db?

EdSpn Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

We have an issue with a plug-in, which when deployed fails to insert the retrieved configuration metrics data into their corresponding MGMT_EMX_ metadata repository tables.

The oracle error in the OMS logfile (emoms_pbs.log) is:

insertRow[1400]: ORA-01400: cannot insert NULL into ("SYSMAN"."MGMT_EMX_VNX_VNXSTGGRPS"."ECM_SNAPSHOT_ID")

After some digging, the only thing I can find is that when the plug-in is undeployed, I can still find what looks like a "remnant" of this plugin in 2 metadata tables: mgmt_coll_items and mgmt_coll_item_metrics. These 2 tables still contain rows for the target_type of the plugin that was undeployed.

Other plug-ins that we have deployed and undeployed don't show remnants. Only this one plug-in does and displays the oracle error.

Questions:

1. Are these 2 things (oracle error and remnants in mgmt_coll_items table) indeed related?
  2. How can we get rid of the remnants?

Any feedback appreciated.

Many thanks,

Ed

• 1. Re: Undeployed plugin leaves remnants in repository db?
    Akanksha Sheoran Kaler Pro

Hi Ed, looks like data is not cleaned up properly .. we give callbacks to all meta data service providers to cleanup the data upon plug-in undeployment. Also you are seeing error in emoms_pbs.log .. which is strange because usually plug-in deployment errors go into plug-in CA logs .

Can you open an SR and upload these logs so that we can start off looking at plugin logs to figured out if undeployment was done correctly.

$<OMS_HOME>/cfgtoollogs/pluginca/*

Is this EM 12.1.0.3 ?

• 2. Re: Undeployed plugin leaves remnants in repository db?
    user764924 Newbie

Can you please let us know the plugin in this case ? Is it oracle plugin ?

• 3. Re: Undeployed plugin leaves remnants in repository db?
    EdSpn Newbie

Hi, thanks for the feedback. I think the "cannot insert nulL" errors are not from the deployment phase of the plugin but from the operational phase, so that would explain to me why they are not in the plugin CA logs. The errors appear after a collection of the config metrics on the agent. I was just thinking that the 2 issues (remnants and NULL-insert-error) could be related, where the error possibly has a root cause in the remnants being there.

We are actually developing our own plugin and I had made a copy of the plugin stage directory, renaming all target_type names/table names to a different name. This would enable 2 developers to work concurrently on the same plugin (A and B), without being in each other's way. However, I suspect I must have accidentally skipped some names in files of plugin B. If A is deployed and I then deploy plugin B, it can imagine this can create 'issues'. :-}

This renaming is now resolved (automated; all occurrences now get properly renamed), but I still have the remnants that I want/need to remove from the repository. Can I remove them manually (from mgmt_coll_items and mgmt_coll_item_metrics)? Normally I wouldn't go there, but how else can I get rid of it?

Thanks,

Ed

• 4. Re: Undeployed plugin leaves remnants in repository db?
    EdSpn Newbie

Hi, it is a plugin that we are developing. No such issues with the Oracle plugins :-)

Thanks,

Ed

• 5. Re: Undeployed plugin leaves remnants in repository db?
    user764924 Newbie

These entries are harmless and would not impact any of EM operations. I would recommend to leave these entries as is.

• 6. Re: Undeployed plugin leaves remnants in repository db?
    EdSpn Newbie

Ok, thank you all. However, this leaves the fact that OEM is unable to insert our metrics in the repo db due to this error...

The oracle error in the OMS logfile (emoms_pbs.log) is:

insertRow[1400]: ORA-01400: cannot insert NULL into ("SYSMAN"."MGMT_EMX_VNX_VNXSTGGRPS"."ECM_SNAPSHOT_ID")

Regards,

Ed

• 7. Re: Undeployed plugin leaves remnants in repository db?
    user761257 Newbie

The "insertRow[1400]: ORA-01400: cannot insert NULL into ("SYSMAN"."MGMT_EMX_VNX_VNXSTGGRPS"."ECM_SNAPSHOT_ID")" error is not related to plugin deployment.

Can you please provide us the details as to how you are verifying data in mgmt_coll_items and mgmt_coll_item_metrics.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points