This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2013 8:38 AM by Richard Harrison . RSS

ORA-31645: unable to read from dump file

maggie Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Good day all,

We are running on RAC with 2 nodes and its oracle exadat servers. I am exporting with parallel option (parallel=4), while the export is running fine, I am having problems with import. The version is Oracle 11.2.0.3.0. I keep getting the error

ORA-31645: unable to rad form dump file <path>/export_4U.dmp

I tried running with and without adding cluster=N parameter but still get this error. Ther is no consistancy here. It starts to load tables fine but suddenly ends up with  erros and failes to load 4 or 5 tables.

Could you please tell me what else am I missing that needs to be done.  My export code does not contain cluster=Y. Do I have to add it there. It works fine without it.

P.s. Also I am not able to copy anything to this editor, I have to type, I like the previous one better its hard to type the errors.

Thanks a lot for looking into the problem

Maggie

• 1. Re: ORA-31645: unable to read from dump file
    sb92075 Guru

[oracle@localhost ~]$ oerr ora 31645

31645, 00000, "unable to read from dump file \"%s\""

// *Cause:  Import could not read from the dumpfile, probably because of a

//          device error. This message is usually followed by a device message

//          from the operating system.

// *Action: Take appropriate action to restore the device.

[oracle@localhost ~]$

error message indicates that problem is OS/file system related

what is OS name & version?

• 2. Re: ORA-31645: unable to read from dump file
    Richard Harrison . Expert

Hi,

are you exporting to a clustered location that can be seen on all nodes?

regards,

harry

• 3. Re: ORA-31645: unable to read from dump file
    maggie Newbie

Harry,

I guess sometimes the slave process may not be identifying the DMP file and hence throwing the error. It is 2 node RAC. I have given grant read write to the directory like how we do. I see ORA_31693, ORA-31645, ORA-31644, ORA-31622 in import log. Do I add parameter CLUSTER=N or not in my import command? Just confused. I recently upgraded to 11g client after the database was upgraded to11g and running expdp and impdp utility using it

I am new to RAC system, mostly worked on single instance, hence the confusion. I am not able to reach to any conclusion inspite of google searches.

Regards

Maggie

• 4. Re: ORA-31645: unable to read from dump file
    maggie Newbie

vesion and OS  : SunOS  5.10 sun4v sparc SUNW, T5240

Oracle 11.2.0.3 version

• 5. Re: ORA-31645: unable to read from dump file

HI,

can you paste the last few lines of the export here? Code pastes ok for me but I keep getting prompted if I want to allow out or not. Try a different browser or try relaxing the security settings to see if it allows it. Firefox seems better to me for working with the new forum site.

cheers,

harry

• 6. Re: ORA-31645: unable to read from dump file
    maggie Newbie

harry,

The problem is at import. the syntax I have been using is

impdp user/pw@db directory=db_dump_file dumpfile=export_1U.dmp,export_2U.DMP...till 4U.dmp remap_schema=user1:user2 lofgile=import.log

I even removed  parallel option in exportdata pump and took one dmp file  and tried to import it, now i get new error. it give ORA31694, ORA_31644 error. I even put CLUSTER=N paramter too in impdp command

Its quite frustrating as iam not sure where the problem is. Please help me, i need to resolve it put in production.

Thanks a bunch

Maggie

• 7. Re: ORA-31645: unable to read from dump file

Hi Maggie,

The reason i asked for the end of the export logfile was to see what files were being created (the last few lines should list them all). I thought initially the porblem was that you were choosing a non-clustered location for the dumpfiles and they were being created on multiple servers - the export would then work but the import would have problems.

From the latest error though it looks like the dumpfile itself is in some way corrupted.

Have you tried just doing an export (noparallel nocluster) to a 'normal' local filesystem and then try importing from there?

Could you try this on more than one node - it could be one of the nodes has some sort of issue and is creating bad files for some reason.

Another possibility is to export directly to ASM (which i assume you are using) - the dumpfile can be sent straight there but the logfile needs to be no a normal non-asm location.

Regards,

Harry

<moderator edit - removed link to personal blog - pl see FAQ link on top right of this page>

• 8. Re: ORA-31645: unable to read from dump file
    maggie Newbie

Harry,

I have tried just doing an export (noparallel nocluster) to a 'normal' local filesystem and then try importing from there?. We dont use ASM. I think its Exa data server 11g oracle. There is no cluster option in export. I tried importing with and without clsuter option but both lead to ORA31694, ORA_31644 error.

I cannot even import just 4 tables export DUMP file and import the same. Import just has problem. It says it cannot open the log files, what kind of error is this

Regards

Maggie

• 9. Re: ORA-31645: unable to read from dump file
    maggie Newbie

Harry,

I have tried just doing an export (noparallel nocluster) to a 'normal' local filesystem and then try importing from there?. We dont use ASM. I think its Exa data server 11g oracle. There is no cluster option in export. I tried importing with and without clsuter option but both lead to ORA31694, ORA_31644 error.

I cannot even import just 4 tables export DUMP file and import the same. Import just has problem. It says it cannot open the log files, what kind of error is this

Regards

Maggie

• 10. Re: ORA-31645: unable to read from dump file
    sb92075 Guru

31644, 00000, "unable to position to block number %s in dump file \"%s\""

// *Cause:  Export or Import was unable to position its file pointer to a

//          specific block within the dump file. This message is usually

//          followed by device messages from the operating system.

// *Action: Take appropriate action based on the device messages.

• 11. Re: ORA-31645: unable to read from dump file

Hi Maggie,

Exadata uses ASM so you should be able to use that - there is a simple example here which shows ASM being used: http://oraclehandson.wordpress.com/2012/06/26/datapump-export-to-asm-diskgroup/

If the destination is some other instance on exadata you could maybe use network_link instead?

Regards,Harry

• 12. Re: ORA-31645: unable to read from dump file
    maggie Newbie

Hi Richard,

Tried fresh export  and imported the same, still encountering errors. Just loaded 2 tables aftyer much wait, Rejected every thing with following error in following order.

ORA-31693

ORA-31640

ORA-19505

ORA-27037

Not able to understand this on RAC environment. The user has read write privs as need to the directory. Do i have to add cluster=N.

Just not able to get the import staight as needed. This is lot of data.

Regards

Maggie

• 13. Re: ORA-31645: unable to read from dump file

Hi Maggie,

To rule out any problems with the cluster and multiple nodes I'd definitely use the ASM storage you will have in place for the exadata and store the dumpfile(s) here under +ASM/.......something.dmp.

I still think the problem either relates to the files not all being visible to impdp, cluster=n and noparallel should rule out a lot of these problems.

My other thought is that you are using @DB - are you sure you are connecting to the node that has the files on it. You should be able to choose a service name that is only running on one of the nodes and this should force that everything runs on the right server by default its going to choose the least loaded node i think - which may not be the one with the files on it (if they are not on clustered filesystems).

Cheers,

Harry

• 14. Re: ORA-31645: unable to read from dump file
    maggie Newbie

Thanks Harry,

I recreated another service name from the the same TNS entry to point to one node (db01) with one scan node and used it and I was able to import it. So that part was successfull. I though 11g on RAC will be able to take up any node by adding cluster=N apparently it did not.

Thanks for helping me to solve the issue.

Maggie

1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points