4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 24, 2013 5:41 PM by UserAL1178M RSS

Cannot activate network device eth0 : Determining IP information for eth0......failed

vk82

Hi Guru's,

VMWARE Ver:8

OS Version : RHEL 5

DB Version: 11gr2

I am trying to build Oracle 11g2 RAC On Linux Using VMware Workstation by following the below mentioned blog:

ORACLE-BASE - Oracle Database 11g Release 2 RAC On Linux Using VMware Server 2

During the N/w conifg as

• hostname: rac1.localdomain
      • IP Address eth0: 192.168.2.101 (public address)
      • Default Gateway eth0: 192.168.2.1 (public address)
      • IP Address eth1: 192.168.0.101 (private address)
      • Default Gateway eth1: none

by making manual Changes in the network setting for eth0 and eth1 in RAC1 machine i am getting below error while trying to activate eth0 as well as eth 1

A dialog box open which shows Activating network device eth0,please wait........

Determining IP information for eth0.....

and then the error as

Cannot activate network etho!

Determining IP information for eth0......failed

May be during the intial configuration of machine where i set the network adapter as bridged there i do some mistake or i need to modify virtual network editor by seting there one more vmnet2 as currently there is only VMnet0  which is type Bridged with External Connection Auto-Bridging

and VMnet1 with Type Host-only DHCP enabled and subnet Address 192.168.241.0

and VMnet8 with type NAT      DHCP enabled  and Subnet Address 192.168.137.0

Kindly advice me over the same

• 1. Re: Cannot activate network device eth0 : Determining IP information for eth0......failed
          sb92075

Problem & fix are external to Oracle.

This problem should be posted in different forum for OS configuration problems.

Oracle DB does not function well when DHCP is used for network configuration.

• 2. Re: Cannot activate network device eth0 : Determining IP information for eth0......failed
            vk82

I tried 3 -4 times i am still getting the same problem.Kindly help me so that i move further

• 3. Re: Cannot activate network device eth0 : Determining IP information for eth0......failed
              WadhahDaouehi

Hi,

First when using Oracle database, it is recommended to use a static IP ADDRESS, and the config file should looks like:

• The config file of the NIC eth0
              # vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
              DEVICE=eth0
              BOOTPROTO=static
              HWADDR=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
              BROADCAST=192.168.2.255
              IPADDR=192.168.2.101
              NETMASK=255.255.255.0
              NETWORK=192.168.2.0
              ONBOOT=yes

• The config file of the NIC eth1
              # vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
              DEVICE=eth1
              BOOTPROTO=static
              HWADDR=YY:YY:YY:YY:YY
              BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
              IPADDR=192.168.0.101
              NETMASK=255.255.255.0
              NETWORK=192.168.0.0
              ONBOOT=yes

• The config file of the hostname and the gateway.
              # vi /etc/sysconfig/network
              NETWORKING=yes
              NETWORKING_IPV6=no
              HOSTNAME=RAC1
              GATEWAY=192.168.2.1

Second, restart your network or reboot your system

I hope this can help you

Best Regards

• 4. Re: Cannot activate network device eth0 : Determining IP information for eth0......failed
                UserAL1178M

Hi,

You need to configure properly your network files. The steps are dedcribed below as an example:

Adding IP address in Linux can be done by editing the network-scripts. While this procedure is tested on Oracle Linux, i'm sure it should work on Redhat Enterprise Linux and other versions of Redhat.Editing network - scripts   The network interface configuration files are found in the directory:   /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ To add an IP address to an interface eth0 # cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ # vi ifcfg-eth0 Enter the below parameters for static configuration DEVICE="eth0" BOOTPROTO="static" BROADCAST="192.168.2.255" HWADDR="00:0C:29:DS:22:26" IPADDR="192.168.2.2" NETMASK="255.255.255.0"  NETWORK="192.168.2.0"    ONBOOT="yes" TYPE="Ethernet"  Save the file by typing ESC :wq  Restart the network service for the changes to take effect.  # service network restart 

Leave HDADDR as it is in eth0 and put your parameters in other configurations. Do the same for eth1.

Hope this help regards.