This discussion is archived
10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 27, 2013 1:15 AM by BluShadow RSS

no edit button

Barbara Boehmer Oracle ACE
Currently Being Moderated

Immediately after posting the following post in this forum:

problems navigating through old posts

I wanted to edit it to correct a spelling error, but there was no edit button.

• 1. Re: no edit button
    Hoek Guru

That happened to me as well, more than once.

In my cases I noticed that all of a sudden I was not logged in anymore.

Not sure if the same applies to you, though...

Message was edited by: Hoek

• 2. Re: no edit button

I am still logged in.  There is just no edit button.  However, the problem seems to be only on this community feedback and suggestions sub-forum, not on other sub-forums.

• 3. Re: no edit button
    Hoek Guru

That's even weirder then... I can edit my posts here as well (using FF 23.0.1)

Message was edited by: Hoek And I do see the edit button immediatly after posting. Perhaps your typo made the edit button disappear as some sort of 'penalty'? ;)

Message was edited by: Hoek Hmmmm, but my wink (from previous edit) isn't getting 'emoticonized' automagically now...

• 4. Re: no edit button

This just gets weirder.  An edit button has now suddenly appeared on my second post in this thread, but not the first one.  In case it matters, I am using Firefox 23.0.1 browser on Windows 7 Professional 64-bit over Verizon Wireless mobile broadband version 7.2.1.2.

There is also an edit button immediately on this post and I am able to edit it.

Message was edited by: BarbaraBoehmer

• 5. Re: no edit button

Testing wink from drop-down list of emoticons in advanced editor:

• 6. Re: no edit button
    Hoek Guru

Message was edited by: Hoek Now my hats fall off..? typing (semi-colon, bracket) now works as well...seems a bit 'glitchy' all...

• 7. Re: no edit button
    SomeoneElse Guru

> An edit button has now suddenly appeared on my second post in this thread, but not the first one.

It was my understanding (just through experience) that your first post will not have an edit button.

Instead, if you look to the right of your post there will be a list of Actions.  One of them is Edit.  You'll be able to edit your post via that link.

• 8. Re: no edit button

SomeoneElse,

You're right!  It is there and it works!  I just wasn't looking in the right place.  I expected it to be where it was in the other posts.  I think consistency would be better.  It's kind of like when you go to the grocery store and they have re-organized everything and now you can't find anything.  Mystery solved!

Thanks,

Barbara

P.S.  I have now fixed the spelling error in the other thread.

• 9. Re: no edit button
    SomeoneElse Guru

> I think consistency would be better.

I've long since given up trying to figure out why Jive does things the way they do.

• 10. Re: no edit button
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

I think it's because the forum software differentiates between a question (or as they seem to refer to it "an authored post") and the responses (or "participation" posts), which then ties in with when you look at profiles and you can see the content for a person is broken down into "Authored" and "Participated In"  The actions for an authored post are different from those for participation posts, although there are some similarities, but it seems they authored post actions are kept in their own little world to the right hand side, whilst the participated posts can be acted on idividually.  In reality, I agree though that things like "Edit" etc. should be available on the authored post itself for consistency... that would just be good interface design. 

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points