2 Replies Latest reply: Aug 26, 2013 10:04 AM by Mark D Powell RSS

Oracle 8i - Remote connection

Prince0606

Hi All

I have installed Oracle 8i in two different networks(both are LAN). I need to remotely connect to Oracle in other network from my home network via VPN.

(I have already setup VPN connection between these to nework)

Is this possible. If so how can i connect. Please reply me.

Many Thanks

• 1. Re: Oracle 8i - Remote connection
          sb92075

Prince0606 wrote:

Hi All

I have installed Oracle 8i in two different networks(both are LAN). I need to remotely connect to Oracle in other network from my home network via VPN.

(I have already setup VPN connection between these to nework)

Is this possible. If so how can i connect. Please reply me.

Many Thanks

8i is obsoleted & unsupported this whole Century.

Both problem & solution are external to Oracle and are basic OS/Networking configuration issues.

You decided we did not need to know OS name or version for either system & solution specifics are OS depenedent.

How do I ask a question on the forums?

https://forums.oracle.com/message/9362002#9362002

• 2. Re: Oracle 8i - Remote connection
            Mark D Powell

The fact you are going across a VPN should make no difference as long as you have 8i compatiable clients on both ends of the connection all you should need to do is define your tnsnames.ora entries as normal.  The connection should then work providing there are no firewalls in the way or you have had rules implemented to allow the network traffic.

A key point here is your Oracle client must be compatiable with the target 8i database.  So for example you could not use an 11.2 client which I believe cannot talk to any database below 9.2 to make the connection.

HTH -- Mark D Powell --