1 20 21 22 23 24 Previous Next 413 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2013 2:13 AM by BluShadow Go to original post RSS
      • 315. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
        Dude!

Unfortunately the forum upgrade screwed up many of my forum posts that included code samples. In most cases the content has become useless and even difficult to rebuild. I decided to fix one of my last guides, which I thought should not take more than a few minutes, but I ended up working on it for several hours.

The forum editor is very buggy. It is nearly impossible to use for anything more fancy than simple text. The behavior or result of the editor is sometimes so weird that it is nearly impossible to explain.

I'm not sure if it makes any sense, but I took some notes:

Copying between MS Word and the forum editor, regardless of HTML code or using text is messing up spacing and fonts. Single space lines result in double-space lines and vice versa. Paragraphs end up starting with a space. Copying within the editor using either the editor Ctrl keys or browser host keys is not reliable, often copying additional text than selected

Several times when I placed the cursor inside some text and hit the delete key, the cursor would jump to the end of the document. I noticed this behavior in particular while the cursor is placed in ordered lists.

Selecting text and changing the font, e.g. Terminal, does not always work. Text may instead change to Arial, or only the first line of a selected block of text gets changed. In some cases it seemed to choose the previously selected font. Changing a font seems to work somewhat more reliable when changing only a single line. But even then the behavior is sometimes strange, for instance, selecting one line of text, changing the font, ends up in 3 lines selected.

During longer or more complex editing sessions I frequently get disconnected, showing that an internal server error occurred. Then it's usually necessary to cut and paste the content into a different editor session in order not to loose it.

I have not found a way to insert a blank line between two separate tables unless there is a blank line already. When I deleted the 2nd row of a table, the first row changed to an "A. text" listing.

I think I will refrain from correcting any further documents or even bother to use advanced features of the editor in its current stage. I used Firefox 21. The document I was working on was nothing really fancy: https://forums.oracle.com/thread/2546040

• 316. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
          jgarry

I use ctrl+ to make the letters display larger in posts, and in the numbered code display the lines overlap.

• 317. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
            Dude!

You mean ctrl+ to zoom the screen? In this case, since I'm using an Apple Mac, I have to use Cmd+ since this is a host key function of the browser (Firefox). I see no negative affect in regard to syntax highlighting and zooming the screen though. However, syntax highlighting is far from working properly. For instance, when I re-edit a code post, it seems the input mask no longer matches the actual text, so selecting text or positioning the cursor inside the code block is very inaccurate and unpredictable. I have given up on using syntax highlighting - it's useless, swallows empty lines, does not use a Terminal font, is browser incompatible and unusable.

• 318. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
              jgarry

Yes, I meant zoom the screen, referring to code samples like in Oracle 11.2 - Perform parallel DML on a non partitioned table with LOB column

• 319. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                Dude!

I can reproduce your problem.

I'm not sure where the option is under Windows, but I when I select Zoom from the browser's View menu, I can enable or disable Zoom Text Only. You can turn it off and text in code boxes should no longer overlap. I'm not saying this is a real solution though.

• 320. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                  jgarry

That worked.  Funny, I'd think checking the box would make it work.  Thanks!

• 321. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                    Mr Nitin-Oracle

User 3004 is gone. Seems they fixed the points

• 322. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                      BrendanP

I just tried that but exactly same result. Unable to update and no proper error message.

• 323. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                        BAO.SZ

This new forum (after i had more than one week s leave) became much slower than other oracle site pages or the older forum whenever login or open a page.

Is it my local network to blame or is the new forum itself much more complex and become more slower and unstable?

• 325. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                          BAO.SZ

During the past  12 hours, I experienced very slow access of this OTN forum. Is that because of my local/country network jams? Or is because OTN system itself?

Another question: How can I communicate some one here personally.  For example, I want to send an email to Timo or Frank, but I cannot found email address on their Bio pages.

Thank you!

• 326. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                            Billy~Verreynne

There has been some performance issues with OTN. Unsure if these reared their heads again.

No means for direct communication - as yet. The forum supports direct messaging and this (and other features) are planned to be enabled.

• 327. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                              BluShadow

BAO.SZ wrote:

Another question: How can I communicate some one here personally.  For example, I want to send an email to Timo or Frank, but I cannot found email address on their Bio pages.

People can choose whether they want their email adddress making public or not.  If you can't see their email address they've chosen to keep it private.

In general, people don't want their email addresses made public, because they don't want to be contacted directly by people seeking help, when the forum is the place to be asking for help instead.  Timo, Frank and other experts on the forum have their own jobs to do and don't want pestering by people seeking free help from them.  They offer their time and expertise directly on the forums.

• 328. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                                BAO.SZ

I definetly agree:

"Timo, Frank and other experts on the forum have their own jobs to do and don't want pestering by people seeking free help from them.  They offer their time and expertise directly on the forums."

I am now thinking: Is there a possible niche Space/Forum service that are different from totally free community and commercial service from big bureacratic organizations (sorry not to mean any specific organization, and many times it's not the bureacratic to be blamed, but that only clients cannot get good enough service by any other reasons).

Thanks

Here is some more details of my story when I tried to got help from Oracle (China).

6. Re: Ask for helps and comments for a practicing ADF sample: Entering bank transaction records

How to get help from ORACLE on Jdev/ADF locally?

http://223.4.132.24:8180/newsAction.do?method=selectAllPL&commentType=webFavorite&newsId=020010050000032417&webTypeId=#pl

(This link is from our website, no security concerns)

and 

6. Re: What degree of productivity can jdev/adf achieve compare to eclipse?

LindaInci Explorer

<:section> 

Currently Being Moderated

Hi BAO.SZ,

may I ask where you live? I am surprised that you cannot find an Oracle consultant who knows ADF.

Regards,

Linda

• 329. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
                                  LT.ora

Can the external links / thread links be opened in new tab

1 20 21 22 23 24 Previous Next