This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2013 5:27 AM by EdStevens RSS

enhanced editor issues

EdStevens Guru
Currently Being Moderated

With the new software, I've quickly developed the habit of using the 'enhanced' editor.  When pasting in code, after pasting it in I select it, make it courier (for a  fixed font), then indent it to set it off a bit (it seems the syntax highlighting option reverts back to a proportional font).

Sometimes, when I start selecting the pasted code, a bunch of surrounding boxes and icons pop up ... it appears that Jive is trying to make some sort of embedded table out of simple text.  This really interferes with formatting the code in the desired manner.

Ideas?

• 1. Re: enhanced editor issues
    SomeoneElse Guru

When I want to change the font in the advance editor (i.e. from the default to courier) I always have to do it 3 times.

I'll highlight the block of code, select Courier New from the dropdown box, but only the first line gets changed.

So I highlight the block again and select Courier New but because the first line was changed it changes the entire block back to the default.

The third time's a charm.

It seems to do this when using Firefox or IE.

• 2. Re: enhanced editor issues
    EdStevens Guru

SomeoneElse wrote:

When I want to change the font in the advance editor (i.e. from the default to courier) I always have to do it 3 times.

I'll highlight the block of code, select Courier New from the dropdown box, but only the first line gets changed.

So I highlight the block again and select Courier New but because the first line was changed it changes the entire block back to the default.

The third time's a charm.

It seems to do this when using Firefox or IE.

I've seen that too, but not consistently.  I use FF almost exclusively.

But what I'm describing here is different.  After pasting the code, when I position the cursor on the first line of the pasted code, various pieces of the code get surrounded by round-cornered windows, with a little 'gear' icon in the upper left corner of whatever window I end up in.  Also get some fly-out menus suggesting these 'windows' are cells in a table ... options like 'delete row', 'delete column',  etc.  And attempts to select and change formatting of the entire block meet with mixed success.

• 3. Re: enhanced editor issues
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

Yes it can sometimes be problematic.  If you're just posting your own reply with code and highlighting and changing font etc. it seems to work ok, but if you've quoted someone's post, especially if you've tried to unquote what they've said so you can break it up and quote it in parts, then there's a load of 'hidden' formatting that gets in the way and can corrupt what you're trying to do (in some cases you can get it looking ok and then when you submit the post it looks all wrong).

If you click on the HTML button on the advanced editor, you'll see all the html tags and everything it's putting in behind the scenes, and you'll get more of an idea how much rubbish is in there from quoted text.

It would seem that the editor hasn't quite got it right when you click your cursor somewhere in the post... it seems to be placing it's internal pointer in the wrong place inside the HTML and then you end up with formatting issues and 'magical spacing boxes' that you have to try and get rid of.

I know it's not easy writing editors (and I've done it a few times for various projects), but there's enough knowledge and templates etc. around now that the basic functionality should work.  Seems the Jive programmers are doing it 'their way' though... and creating issues in the process.

• 4. Re: enhanced editor issues
    EdStevens Guru

Blue,

Thanks for the pointer on the HTML tags.  I'll start checking that when I seem to be getting "issues".

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points