This discussion is archived
9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 28, 2013 9:49 AM by TimG RSS

How to change member names in mass

user9952742 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to change about 100 member names all at once in Essbase instead of doing this manually?

Thank you!

• 1. Re: How to change member names in mass
    _RahulS_ Guru

Dimension Build Rules?

• 2. Re: How to change member names in mass
    GlennS_3 Oracle ACE Director

The only way I koow to do it would be to use one of the APIs and write code to do it. I've done it with the VB api and am pretty sure you could do it with the Java API

• 3. Re: How to change member names in mass
    sunil k Journeyer

This is what i have used couple of time to quickly get around this

- Get an extract of current cube

- Move the members that you want to rename under a 'dummy' parent using a parent child rule file

- remove the dummy parent bucket, you will lose the data but that is fine

- Load new members names under their required parent using a parent child rule file

- Load old member names as Alias to new member name using Alias table (ALT) file. You can use a new alias table for this purpose.

- Load the original extract to cube

- Remove the new alias table

You will get your members renamed

sk

• 4. Re: How to change member names in mass
    TimG Guru

Good idea, Sunil, and I've done this in the past.  You don't even necessarily need to do that 'dummy parent' stuff if you have a source file from which you can build the entire dimension again with the 'remove unspecified' option.

I've also used Glenn's approach.

What you really must think about in either situation is whether any of the new names match existing member names.  That definitely complicates things.

Honestly, if you don't already have the code written, for a strictly one-off 100 member change it would probably be faster to suck it up and work through them in EAS.  But where's the fun in that, right?

• 5. Re: How to change member names in mass
    sunil k Journeyer

Thanks Tim - Yes building an entire dimension is also an option if it is possible

I just wonder why does Oracle not provide this as an Out of Box feature of ESSBASE (not sure if it is in their plan for future releases). Member name changes are pretty normal occurrences during implementation and even afterwards, during operations, as business changes over time

Regards,

Sunil

• 6. Re: How to change member names in mass
    TimG Guru

Yes, I think we've all become so used to it not being possible that we don't really stop to think "this is an unnecessary limitation".

I know keeping the data in the right place gets complicated if "A" changes to "B" and "B" changes to something else, but you have to consider those problems when doing it manually anyway, so it's not like a load rule option would be at any special disadvantage.

• 7. Re: How to change member names in mass
    GlennS_3 Oracle ACE Director

As typical, I want to take a contrarty view, member names should not change in Essbase much. If planned right, the member names are typically codes at are fairly static but the aliases change based on business needs. Yes I know there are instances where this is not possible but in most implementations it should be the exception rather than the rule. IT is easy to change aliases, as you see, much harder to change members

• 8. Re: How to change member names in mass
    TimG Guru

I agree with the principle 100%, Glenn, especially once systems are in production.  I just don't think the principle justifies making it impossible with a rule; after all EAS / the APIs / Planning / EPMA / DRM (I think) etc all allow it.

• 9. Re: How to change member names in mass
    sunil k Journeyer

True - as you said, it just depends on the implementation and what we do with it over time - Sometimes insufficient metadata governance leads to names changes or other times it could be other technical reasons e.g. trying to interface with another new system that needs some codes differently

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points