3 Replies Latest reply: Aug 29, 2013 5:40 AM by gimbal2 RSS

EJB and Singleton Pattern

user10400926

I am trying to bring a legacy jar file into an EJB.  The legacy jar file manages a Java Singleton using the ThreadLocal pattern -- that is each thread appears to be able to use a POJO Singleton because the real state is held in a ThreadLocal.

Now I want to use this jar in an EJB and it is failing.  It appears the WebLogic container is switching threads in the middle of a session, throwing the ThreadLocal off.

Is there some equivalent pattern in EJB's that I can use?  Is there some statically accessible context data where I can store some information?

advTHANKSance

Chas Douglass

• 1. Re: EJB and Singleton Pattern
          gimbal2

user10400926 wrote:

I am trying to bring a legacy jar file into an EJB.  The legacy jar file manages a Java Singleton using the ThreadLocal pattern -- that is each thread appears to be able to use a POJO Singleton because the real state is held in a ThreadLocal.

Now I want to use this jar in an EJB and it is failing.  It appears the WebLogic container is switching threads in the middle of a session, throwing the ThreadLocal off.

Is there some equivalent pattern in EJB's that I can use?  Is there some statically accessible context data where I can store some information?

advTHANKSance

Chas Douglass

What do you mean by "session" exactly? Its a pretty non-specific term that can already translate to several different things in the context of a JEE environment.

You could use something like EHCache as an alternative to ThreadLocal, which has a pretty easy programming interface.

• 2. Re: EJB and Singleton Pattern
            user10400926

Thanks for replying.

I'm sure a big part of the problem here is that I am a Java Applications programmer and not at all familiar with JEE programming.  In my mind a "session" should be from the time the user identifies/authenticates themselves until they logout or timeout.

Chas Douglass

• 3. Re: EJB and Singleton Pattern
              gimbal2

The closest you can get in an EJB (which does not care about sessions) is a stateful EJB. That's a concept that is not easy to grasp and I must say that documentation on the proper usage of a stateful EJB is quite lacking.