9 Replies Latest reply: Aug 30, 2013 1:49 AM by Pradeepcmst RSS

Insuffient privilages

Hi all,

I installed 11g in my system.Then I used to login as username@admin/password.It returns error as ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified.

After that I tried sqlplus "/ as sysdba" it returns as ORA-01031: insufficient privileges and then i set ORACLE_SID and then try sqlplus "/ as sysdba" it returns ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter

error.  How to resolve this problem??

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Insuffient privilages
          Pradeepcmst

Hi,

Check whether you have listener.ora file ORACLE_HOME/network/admin location. If its not there , you need to configure and create a new listener. Then check the listener status and make sure its listening your database. set proper sid and then login using " sqlplus / as sysdba", I believe you installed in windows machine. So check whether the  service is running or not. Check the environment variable is pointing to correct ORACLE_HOME/bin path..

Regards,

Pradeep. V

• 2. Re: Insuffient privilages
            EdStevens

00125 wrote:

Hi all,

I installed 11g in my system.Then I used to login as username@admin/password.It returns error as ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified.

see: http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/26/ora-12154tns-03505/ (ora-12154 TNS:could not resolve the connect identifier specified)

After that I tried sqlplus "/ as sysdba" it returns as ORA-01031: insufficient privileges and then i set ORACLE_SID and then try sqlplus "/ as sysdba" it returns ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter

error.  How to resolve this problem??

Thanks.

What OS?

The ora-01031 is because you are not a member of the local os's dba group. (ora_dba if windows).

The ORA-12560 is usually the result of ORACLE_SID being set to something other than a local database.

So we'd need more details:

What OS is the database on?

What OS are you running sqlplus from?

Is your sqlplus and database on the same machine?

Other questions may follow, but they will depend on the answers to the above.

• 3. Re: Insuffient privilages
              UserAL1178M

00125 wrote:

...i set ORACLE_SID and then try sqlplus "/ as sysdba" it returns ORA-12560: TNS:protocol adapter error.  How to resolve this problem??

Since you are using a local connection "sqlplus / as sysdba", TNS is irrelevant. This type of error usually occurs when ORACLE_SID points to a non-existent SID. Can you double check ORACLE_SID and export it again.

If it is Windows environment can you check if Oracle service is started?

• 4. Re: Insuffient privilages
                Pradeepcmst

Hi,

i) If you are using Windows OS, Check Whether the oracle database service is started and up and running. Then check the environment variable PATH which points to the bin directory of your oracle software. Set ORACLE_SID and then try to login

ii) If you are using UNIX machine, check the bash profile of Oracle user and see whether you set the path pointing to bin of your oracle home,. Also you need to export ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID and then try login...

• 5. Re: Insuffient privilages
                  EdStevens

Pradeepcmst wrote:

Hi,

i) If you are using Windows OS, Check Whether the oracle database service is started and up and running. Then check the environment variable PATH which points to the bin directory of your oracle software. Set ORACLE_SID and then try to login

ii) If you are using UNIX machine, check the bash profile of Oracle user and see whether you set the path pointing to bin of your oracle home,. Also you need to export ORACLE_HOME and ORACLE_SID and then try login...

Checking the PATH (any OS) is a red herring.  If there were issues with the path, the OP would be getting error messages from os saying it can't find sqlplus.  The fact that sqlplus loaded at all and is issuing ORA- messages is proof positive that there is no problem with the path.

• 6. Re: Insuffient privilages
                    Pradeepcmst

Oh yes. you are right EdStevens,

But in our local system i had installed client software way long back. Then recently i installed oracle database and got the same issue. When i checked the windows PATH in environment variable, the bin location of client software was there first, followed by bin location of oracle database. So what i did is, i replaced the bin location like bin location of oracle database comes first and bin location of client comes next... then tried executed the sqlplus and was able to login to database. Anyway there is nothing wrong in double checking. Thats y mentioned to double check the PATH..

• 7. Re: Insuffient privilages
                      UserAL1178M

What is the status of your issue?

• 8. Re: Insuffient privilages
                        EdStevens

Pradeepcmst wrote:

Oh yes. you are right EdStevens,

But in our local system i had installed client software way long back. Then recently i installed oracle database and got the same issue. When i checked the windows PATH in environment variable, the bin location of client software was there first, followed by bin location of oracle database. So what i did is, i replaced the bin location like bin location of oracle database comes first and bin location of client comes next... then tried executed the sqlplus and was able to login to database. Anyway there is nothing wrong in double checking. Thats y mentioned to double check the PATH..

There was something else about that setup or your procedure that you have forgotten or not considering important.  You state that you made a database installation after having made a client installation, and yet in the path the client home was listed first.  This statement in itself is suspicious, because when installing, oracle always puts the newly installed directory at the head of the PATH.  Yet you say it inserted it after the previously existing entry.

I'm sorry but lacking solid evidence to the contrary, I have to believe you mis-interpret and/or mis-report what you thought you saw and did.

• 9. Re: Insuffient privilages
                          Pradeepcmst

oops! You got my point what i came to say exactly.  Sorry for the typo Ed!!