This discussion is archived
1 23 24 25 26 27 28 Previous Next 413 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2013 12:13 AM by BluShadow Go to original post RSS
  • 360. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    d916ead7-f6c2-4039-97ca-a28f22791a25 Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated

Hi ,I am new to this site and have been searching how to post a question.Unfortunately i did not so i am writing here.Please tell me how to ask question(where to click/on which link).i thought of tasklist menu but when i click and go to task it displays" blocked by administrator"

• 361. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

d916ead7-f6c2-4039-97ca-a28f22791a25 wrote:

Hi ,I am new to this site and have been searching how to post a question.Unfortunately i did not so i am writing here.Please tell me how to ask question(where to click/on which link).i thought of tasklist menu but when i click and go to task it displays" blocked by administrator"

Go to the "Home" page and then find the forum/space you want to post in.

When in the desired forum click on the "Start a discussion" link under Actions on the left hand side.

p.s. it could be on the right hand side depending on whether you're looking at the "overview" or "content" of the forum/space.

• 362. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BAO.SZ Newbie
    Dude wrote:

If you give users the ability to branch away responses, then you might as well give them the option to delete answers they received. I'm glad that only moderators are allowed to have this power.

Dear dude:

But now as an ordinary user of  the new OTN furom , I can branch away posts of myself and responses from others in a thread created by me !

Here is an example: 1. Re: Jdeveloper+ADF vs. Eclipse+ADF ?

In this newly branched thread from  another one created by myself, I can furthur more branch out ShayShmeltzer 's response post. --You yourself also can have a try.

I think it's a useful feature to handle information which I concerned. It gives me the ability to reorganize posts into a more relevant way.

BTW,

I don't think when I have the power to reorganize posts (such as bybranching), then

you might as well give them the option to delete answers they received.

Thanks

bao

• 363. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    PhHein Guru Moderator

It's a bug that will be fixed with a coming patch. Regular users will not be able to branch out replies or delete replies.

• 364. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BAO.SZ Newbie

What's wrong with the existing structure.  It's already structured by products or specializations, and structured in a way that fits with Oracle's internal organization.  Giving all users the ability to branch or merge threads is dangerous...

OK, There is nothing wrong with the existing structure, but something more maybe needed. for example,

Can you tell me how to easily find again the current post and filter out all posts of this discussion we are taking now?

--You will agree this is a reasonal requirements,  just like you will need to have a special collection of photos for a specific trip.--Is that right?

The ways I can choose now is:

1. OTN ->BROWSE->Content->Participated->find thread: Welcome to the new OTN Community!->browse to find this post (it's not difficult to do since it's new post, I just go to the end page to find it, but how about months later?)

After I have found out this exact post, I cannot make (display ) all posts (replies) as a collection yet.--that means cannot filter out other unrelated post, only leave and display related feedups of this disccussion on "email address" topic.

Instead I have to trace back from posts to posts (jump from posts to posts), cannot display on pages in a decent way.

2. OTN->COMMUNICATION->from the list find the specific one and find the post.

But cannot filter out them and make a collection.

3. Search

I don't know which keyword can be used  to search this post now, let alone to say months later.

• 365. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BAO.SZ Newbie

I hope don't remove this branch feature --it's useful,and-- we regular users cannot delete any response posts now.

• 366. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    PhHein Guru Moderator

It will be removed, as it is a bug, not a feature.

• 367. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BAO.SZ Newbie

PhHein wrote:

It will be removed, as it is a bug, not a feature.

Who define the feature list? Is there an official feature list we can see or give suggestions?

• 368. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

Most of the features are the standard ones of the Jive forum software.  Of course some have been disabled by Oracle as they don't want to use those features or just temporarily whilst they sort out performance issues and suchlike.  Only Oracle (Sonya et. al.)  are likely to have the exact feature list.

• 369. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BAO.SZ Newbie

As a former programmer, I think it's only a small case to implement the following feature in a database application,

Can you tell me how to easily find again the current post and filter out all posts of this discussion we are taking now?

But when a program or software been labeled as a standard system (platform system like Jive), then almost everything will become difficult.

This is also a headache I meet in our own software bussines.

• 370. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BAO.SZ Newbie
    3. Search

I don't know which keyword can be used  to search this post now, let alone to say months later.

I tried keyword "nothing wrong" in OTN  intentioned to search this post:

364. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!

and can not get an impression that the search engine is smart enough.

Is there any more better keyword candidate or search engine for this search?

• 371. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

I searched for "forum editor not working" and then restricted the results to the "Community Feedback" space.

This thread was one of the results given.

• 372. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    jgarry Guru

How useful is that when moderators move things between fora?  Sometimes I'm surprised to find I'm in a different forum as the thread moved while I was responding.

• 373. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Greg.Spall Expert

It would be nice if they moved it, to actually add a post themselves to say "Moved to xxx forum".  Just for info purposes.

I've seen this down on other forums. *shrug*

• 374. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BAO.SZ Newbie

jgarry wrote:

How useful is that when moderators move things between fora?  Sometimes I'm surprised to find I'm in a different forum as the thread moved while I was responding.

The key point is the privilige to "move things between fora" should be kept for users themselves-- at least users can share this priviliges with moderators.

In an era of e-cloud, with help of some(needn't too much) imagination and developing works, to have more than one view of data (one view is kept by moderator, another view is kept by users, and this later view can be set to private to users themselves) of a forum can be easily reached and not expensive to maintain. By this not-too-much-to-cost approach, both users and forums' requirements can be met. Forum can get his "standard, decent" or anyother requirement, and users can get what they feel comfortable.

Otherwise, can you imagine, in a democratic society, everything that is related to yourself is decided and determined by some authority ?

--now we are on some grand topic again.