6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 4, 2013 12:47 PM by Catch-22 RSS

message from OS

Hi,

We use Redhat.4.2/5.

I am asked to check the possibilty of sending SMS,CALL to landline/mobile from OS when run the shell script.

Is it possilbe ?

Br,

Raj

• 1. Re: message from OS
          Catch-22

Such task is usually accomplished by simply sending an email to a smtp/sms gateway. You can either install your own server, but it will most likely be cheaper and more efficient to contact your telecommunication provider and ask if they already offer such a service. Here is some list, which expains some concepts and examples:

SMS gateway - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

List of SMS gateways - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• 2. Re: message from OS
            WadhahDaouehi

Hi,

You can install Postfix (mail server), and configure it to send you an email (Free Solution). look at this URL.

And create your scripts and for some conditions let your scripts send you an email, for example:

# echo "The Script is running Good" | mail -s "Test MAIL" XXX.YYY@gmail.com

I hope this can help you

Best regards

• 3. Re: message from OS

Hi,

Thanks for Your reply.

We already have mail configuration in our environment.It's working fine.

For SMS,I tried many times,but i unable to succeed.I executed below one.

uuencode a.txt a.txt | mail -s " Testing " 99*******@air***.co.in

1,Is the modem should be attached?I really no idea about this.It's new one to me.

We work from India(Offshore),the servers  are located  in different places such as Usa,Singapore ,China  and Sweden.

How to achieve this.

Any Suggestions.

AND

2,Is it possible to call(only Ring) to Mobile/Landline from Server when the event is down/up.

Br,

Raj

• 4. Re: message from OS
                Catch-22

I'm not sure why you would use uuencode for sending a text message. Uuencode is only needed to convert binary data to 7-bit text, so it can be safely transmitted using X.400 or SMTP email messaging.

You will need a GSM modem to access a cellular network to be able to send SMS messages. A regular modem requires another modem or a fax machine to establish a communication, such as V.90 communication protocol.

If you have a modem attached to the com1 and only want to dial a phone number you can simply use the echo command to send AT commands to the device. e.g.:

echo -n "ATDT phone-number" > /dev/ttyS0

• 5. Re: message from OS

Hi,

Thanks for your REPLY.

If you have a modem attached to the com1 and only want to dial a phone number you can simply use the echo command to send AT commands to the device.

I couldn't understand it.Colud you explain it.

Is it possible to send sms without MODEM.I am not good in network /hardware concepts.

Br,

• 6. Re: message from OS
                    Catch-22

No, you cannot use a regular modem to connect to the cellular GSM network to send a SMS message. You will need a GSM modem and most likely special software, which accepts a SIM card, and operates over a subscription to a mobile operator. You can however call a phone number with any modem, which is what you asked in your previous response, and which I showed using the echo command; of course the connection woud hang up after the modem failed to negotiate a communication protocol.