This discussion is archived
5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 1, 2013 9:26 PM by Justin_Mungal RSS

RESETLOGS. Do I HAVE to resetlogs ?

RaghuramKotnana Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

I take a cold backup of a database and restore it to another server. I do not wish to do a RESETLOGS. Do I HAVE to resetlogs ?

• 1. Re: RESETLOGS. Do I HAVE to resetlogs ?
    sb92075 Guru

RaghuramKotnana wrote:

I take a cold backup of a database and restore it to another server. I do not wish to do a RESETLOGS. Do I HAVE to resetlogs ?

Do you  have to RESETLOGS. to open the source DB?

If not, then opening the restored files is the same.

The files do not know or care that they now reside on a different server system.

• 2. Re: RESETLOGS. Do I HAVE to resetlogs ?
    Justin_Mungal Journeyer

RaghuramKotnana wrote:

Not necessarily no. If you want to do complete recovery and the redo logs were included in your cold backup then you won't need to. RESETLOGS is used when you're doing incomplete recovery and will create a new database incarnation. You should study the manuals because this is a deep subject.

• 3. Re: RESETLOGS. Do I HAVE to resetlogs ?
    Aman.... Oracle ACE

It won't matter whether you wish it or not, if it's required to be done , database will ask for it. Is the backup consistent? Was the database in archive log?

Aman....

• 4. Re: RESETLOGS. Do I HAVE to resetlogs ?
    Hemant K Chitale Oracle ACE

If your Cold Backup does NOT include the Online Redo Logs,  you will need to OPEN RESETLOGS to recreate the Online Redo Logs.

You'd need to review your backup and restore methods (using OS commands or using RMAN in MOUNT status ??) to understand how to OPEN the database after a RESTORE.

Most DBAs follow Oracle's standard recommendation to not backup Online Redo Logs and implement this even when doing Cold Backups.

Hemant K Chitale

• 5. Re: RESETLOGS. Do I HAVE to resetlogs ?
    Justin_Mungal Journeyer

Most DBAs follow Oracle's standard recommendation to not backup Online Redo Logs and implement this even when doing Cold Backups.

Pretty much. Oracle needs to be more clear about it for the sake of new people though. The recommendation makes sense for a single database server. But if you're restoring the database to another server there's nothing dangerous about it.

I guess it's just a matter of understanding the database and recovery itself, rather than just blindly following recommendations. But taking time to understand things is rare these days it seems.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points