EBS R12 Migration from WindowsR2 32bit to Linux32bit

Athish Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

My Environment,

EBS Version:R12.1.3

DB Version: 11.2.0.2

OS Version: Windows 2003 R2 32bit

Here we are plan to do the, migration of "Oracle EBS R12 from windows environment" to Linux environment (RHEL5U8 32bit),

Please advise me the respective oracle document which as to follow,

Regards

Athish

• 1. Re: EBS R12 Migration from WindowsR2 32bit to Linux32bit
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director

Pl review MOS Doc 1377213.1 - you will have to migrate the database and application tier separately.

HTH
    Srini

• 2. Re: EBS R12 Migration from WindowsR2 32bit to Linux32bit
    Asif Muhammad Guru

Hi Atish,

Yes, Please break up your process into 02:

1. You may use the clone utility to migrate the application tier from Windows to Linux:

Please refer note:

Application Tier Platform Migration with Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 (Doc ID 438086.1)

2. Migrate the DB.

Please refer notes:

Export/Import Process for Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 using 10gR2 [ID 454616.1]

Using Transportable Database to migrate E-Business Suite R12 Using Oracle Database 10gR2 or 11g [ID 734763.1]

Export/import process for R12 using 11gR1 or 11gR2 [ID 741818.1]

Thanks &

Best regards,

• 3. Re: EBS R12 Migration from WindowsR2 32bit to Linux32bit
    Hussein Sawwan-Oracle Employee ACE

Athish wrote:

Hi,

My Environment,

EBS Version:R12.1.3

DB Version: 11.2.0.2

Here we are plan to do the, migration of "Oracle EBS R12 from windows environment" to Linux environment (RHEL5U8 32bit),

Please advise me the respective oracle document which as to follow,

Regards

Athish

Why would you migrate to 32-bit of Linux instead of 64-bit Linux? Please see (Frequently Asked Questions: Oracle E-Business Suite Support on x86-64 (Doc ID 343917.1)) for the benefits you would get when you run EBS on 64-bit OS.

For your migration, please refer to:

General Notes For E-Business Suite Release 12 (Doc ID 986673.1) -- Platform Migration for E-Business Suite R12 Application Tier

Please also see the following docs for the issues you might encounter during this migration.

Rapidwiz -techstack Not Installing Anything (Doc ID 1547497.1)

R12 Migration Patch Fails With Error "adpatch: No such file or directory" (Doc ID 875958.1)

R12 Adstrtal.sh Fails with "Database Connection Could Not Be Established error starting all services on the target" (Doc ID 1499837.1)

Linking WIP Fails When Applying Patch 6728000 (R12 Rup6) Due to Missing Libraries from STH (Doc ID 762389.1)

Thanks,

Hussein

• 4. Re: EBS R12 Migration from WindowsR2 32bit to Linux32bit
    Athish Newbie

Hi Hussein,

Thanks for the update,

I'st possible to migrate the EBS R12 from windows 32bit to 64 bit Linux directly or else here i have to go with below given steps.

Step :1 windows 32bit to linux 32bit then (Once completer step 1)

Step :2 Linux 32bit to 64 bit OS,

Please advise me.

Regards

Athish

• 5. Re: EBS R12 Migration from WindowsR2 32bit to Linux32bit
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director

The migration can be achieved directly from Win 32-bit to Linux 64-bit - you do not have to migrate to Linux 32-bit first.

HTH
    Srini

• 6. Re: EBS R12 Migration from WindowsR2 32bit to Linux32bit
    Asif Muhammad Guru

Hi Athish,

I'st possible to migrate the EBS R12 from windows 32bit to 64 bit Linux directly or else here i have to go with below given steps.

We can perfrom a cloning for application tier to migrate from Windows 32bit  to Linux 32 bit, and we use the same cloning technique to migrate from linux 32 bit to 64bit. Please refer note:

Migrating Oracle E-Business Suite R12 from Linux 32-bit to Linux 64-bit (Doc ID 471566.1)

Even though I have not perform a direct migration from windows 32 bit to linux 64 bit, but I believe you must be able to perform  this using as rapid clone as both Platform and bit upgrades are done using the same cloning technique but with some small additional  changes. Please refer both notes (438086.1 & 471566.1) for this.

And for database, please refer the note mentioned in this and previous post.

Thanks &

Best Regards,

• 7. Re: EBS R12 Migration from WindowsR2 32bit to Linux32bit
    Athish Newbie

Thanks for the update,

As advised, I can follow up this id 438086.1 for migrating the application tier from widows 32bit to linux 64bit.

Can you please advise the metalink id for migrating the database from widows 32bit to linux 64bit.

Regards

Athish

• 8. Re: EBS R12 Migration from WindowsR2 32bit to Linux32bit
    Asif Muhammad Guru

Hi Athish,

Can you please advise the metalink id for migrating the database from widows 32bit to linux 64bit.

You may use exp/imp for this purpose. Please refer my 1st post with this regard.

Thanks &

Best Regards,

• 9. Re: EBS R12 Migration from WindowsR2 32bit to Linux32bit
    Athish Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for the update,

I have crosschecked the following oracle documents for migrating the EBS database from windows 32bit to Linux 64bit.

Please suggests me which is the best practice to do  EBS DB migration "Export / Import" or "Transportable Tablespace"

DB:

Export/import process for 12.0 or 12.1 using 11gR1 or 11gR2 [ID 741818.1]

Using Transportable Tablespaces for EBS Release 12 Using Database 11gR2 [ID 1311487.1]

Regards

Athish

• 10. Re: EBS R12 Migration from WindowsR2 32bit to Linux32bit

Athish wrote:

Hi Hussein,

Thanks for the update,

Please advise me.

Regards

Athish

Hi Athish,

You can  migrate from Windows 32-bit to Linux 64-bit directly with no issues.

Thanks,

Hussein

• 11. Re: EBS R12 Migration from WindowsR2 32bit to Linux32bit

Athish wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the update,

I have crosschecked the following oracle documents for migrating the EBS database from windows 32bit to Linux 64bit.

Please suggests me which is the best practice to do  EBS DB migration "Export / Import" or "Transportable Tablespace"

DB:

Using Transportable Tablespaces for EBS Release 12 Using Database 11gR2 [ID 1311487.1]

Regards

Athish

There are two different approaches to migrate your database and either approach would work for you.

I would suggest you try each approach on a test instance and decide which one you prefer to go with for your production instance migration (less issues, less time, ..etc).

Thanks,

Hussein

• 12. Re: EBS R12 Migration from WindowsR2 32bit to Linux32bit
    Asif Muhammad Guru

Hi Athish,

Out of the options available to you, It is idle to debate between the two as both of them carry their own advantage, bu I would personally would give preference to transportable tablespsace over exp/imp as it in my opinion is much faster and effective than exp/imp when it comes to larger databases.

Please refer Steven Chan's blogs with respective to the same subject:

https://blogs.oracle.com/stevenChan/entry/migrating_ebs_12_databases_between_platforms

https://blogs.oracle.com/stevenChan/entry/new_source_database_added_for

Also refer notes:

Using Transportable Database to migrate E-Business Suite R12 Using Oracle Database 10gR2 or 11g (Doc ID 734763.1)

Cross Platform Transportable Tablespaces on 11i with 10gR2 (Doc ID 454574.1)

Hope this helps!

Thanks &

Best Regards,

• 13. Re: EBS R12 Migration from WindowsR2 32bit to Linux32bit
    Athish Newbie

Hi,

Thanks for the update,

As advised in first iteration, I will try go with transportable tablespace option for migrating the ebs database from windows 32bit to linux 64bit. Then i will try to migrate the application tier as per the below oracle document.

DB:

APPS:

Application Tier Platform Migration with Oracle E-Business Suite Release 12 [ID 438086.1]

Action Plan:

Source Environment:

EBS Version:R12.1.3  32bit

DB Version: 11.2.0.2  32bit

Target Migrating Environemnt:

EBS Version:R12.1.3  64bit

DB Version: 11.2.0.2  64bit

OS Version: OELL5U8 64bit

Once i have completed this task i will update the status in the same ticket.

Regards

Athish

• 14. Re: EBS R12 Migration from WindowsR2 32bit to Linux32bit

Athish,

Target Migrating Environemnt:

DB Version: 11.2.0.2  64bit

You may go with 11.2.0.3 on the target database node since it is the latest 11gR2 certified patchset with R12, which is recommended over 11.2.0.2

Good luck with the migration!

Regards,

Hussein

1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points