This discussion is archived
1 24 25 26 27 28 Previous Next 413 Replies Latest reply: Sep 23, 2013 12:13 AM by BluShadow Go to original post RSS
  • 375. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BAO.SZ Newbie
    Currently Being Moderated

PhHein wrote:

It will be removed, as it is a bug, not a feature.

Strongly objection !

Are you come from Oracle? Is this an Oracle official statement?

• 376. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    jgarry Guru

Well, a fundamental requirement for a democratic society is an educated electorate.  If the users can't figure out (Do Not Post Product-Related Questions Here) and go ahead and multipost after being told not to, I'm not so sure they should be given more authority than they already have.  But then again, I wouldn't be surprised in the real world if people were to elect actors for President, either.

• 377. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BAO.SZ Newbie

?

• 378. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    EdStevens Guru

BAO.SZ wrote:

jgarry wrote:

How useful is that when moderators move things between fora?  Sometimes I'm surprised to find I'm in a different forum as the thread moved while I was responding.

The key point is the privilige to "move things between fora" should be kept for users themselves-- at least users can share this priviliges with moderators.

In an era of e-cloud, with help of some(needn't too much) imagination and developing works, to have more than one view of data (one view is kept by moderator, another view is kept by users, and this later view can be set to private to users themselves) of a forum can be easily reached and not expensive to maintain. By this not-too-much-to-cost approach, both users and forums' requirements can be met. Forum can get his "standard, decent" or anyother requirement, and users can get what they feel comfortable.

Otherwise, can you imagine, in a democratic society, everything that is related to yourself is decided and determined by some authority ?

--now we are on some grand topic again.

Otherwise, can you imagine, in a democratic society, everything that is related to yourself is decided and determined by some authority ?

Or the other extreme, where nothing is determined by some authority.  I'll just ignore that red light, it was put up by someone else.

• 379. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    EdStevens Guru

BAO.SZ wrote:

As a former programmer, I think it's only a small case to implement the following feature in a database application,

Can you tell me how to easily find again the current post and filter out all posts of this discussion we are taking now?

But when a program or software been labeled as a standard system (platform system like Jive), then almost everything will become difficult.

This is also a headache I meet in our own software bussines.

Then "as a former programmer" you know that

- some things are a lot more difficult than they seem to someone who doesn't know the inner workings of said system.

- some things can be done but are way too expensive in terms of processing requirement, manpower to implement, or both.

- not everything that can be done should be done.

• 380. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BAO.SZ Newbie

I have to state now, what I post on comments of OTN is only for suggestions or some thinking. not a order for others what should be done.

• 381. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    jgarry Guru

We all recognize and appreciate suggestions.  We also tear them apart.  That kind of give and take is a good thing, it exposes weaknesses in the suggestions, so the suggestions can be improved.

My previous answer was merely illustrating that there are a lot of clueless people in the world, and suggestions of giving authority to users have to take that into account.

• 382. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Dude! Guru

A couple of posts ago you criticized the following:

Let me narrow the "email addrss" topic far-away from  "political freedom and liberty"--it's too grand a topic.

The later you wrote:

Otherwise, can you imagine, in a democratic society, everything that is related to yourself is decided and determined by some authority

So what is the lesson or suggestion we are supposed to learn? Is your opinion or what you would like to discuss more important than others?

Well, I guess the best kingdom is the one you can create yourself. There is a very good reason why democracy separates the powers in executive, legislative and judicial branches. You certainly do not want the police to create the laws. For the same or similar reason, regular users should not be allowed to branch off responses they receive.

I hope OTN, or Jive who makes the software, is going to fix the ability to allow regular users to branch off posts very soon.

• 383. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BAO.SZ Newbie

Thanks.

Maybe my posts seem too aggressive ?

After all these posts go-and-from in this friday. I get to know a new group name "Moderator" in a forum.

If possible, I would like to know where are they come ? how do they work every day?

• 384. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    jgarry Guru

It's my understanding they are volunteers who were asked to moderate based on their activity in their forum and some other mysterious reasons. 

• 385. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BAO.SZ Newbie

Dude wrote:

A couple of posts ago you criticized the following:

Let me narrow the "email addrss" topic far-away from  "political freedom and liberty"--it's too grand a topic.

The later you wrote:

Otherwise, can you imagine, in a democratic society, everything that is related to yourself is decided and determined by some authority

So what is the lesson or suggestion we are supposed to learn? Is your opinion or what you would like to discuss more important than others?

Well, I guess the best kingdom is the one you can create yourself. There is a very good reason why democracy separates the powers in executive, legislative and judicial branches. You certainly do not want the police to create the laws. For the same or similar reason, regular users should not be allowed to branch off responses they receive.

I hope OTN, or Jive who makes the software, is going to fix the ability to allow regular users to branch off posts very soon.

Dear dude:

When I posted "political freedom and liberty"--it's too grand a topic. it's only some quips or humors.

and when I posted later "Otherwise, can you imagine, in a democratic society, everything that is related to yourself is decided and determined by some authority" ,

there was a follow up which you missed in the above quotation, the full sentence is : 

--now we are on some grand topic again.

This is also a quip, this time for myself: you see I deride someone else some posts ago, and now I myself have to talk this kind of grand topic.

I hope you can realize this is benign.

and I still hope regular users of OTN can keep the feature of branch (not delete ) threads which is created by himself.

bao

• 386. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Dude! Guru

I have not noticed any aggression here. As far as I'm concerned I think your suggestion does not make sense. Perhaps you can find better ears and more attention if you create your own thread about this topic, including the topic to get to know the moderators. The audience and topics covered in this discussion seem exhausted.

• 387. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BAO.SZ Newbie
    I moved my discussion on this topic to another thread:
    16. Re: Is the ORACLE.COM developed using jdev/adf?

Regards´╝ü

• 388. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    Dario Botkuljak Newbie

Is there any way to switch to an old OTN design?

this one is not readable and clean as the old one.

regards.

• 389. Re: Welcome to the new OTN Community!
    BluShadow Guru Moderator

DarioBotkuljak wrote:

Is there any way to switch to an old OTN design?

this one is not readable and clean as the old one.

regards.

No.  If you'd read all the previous posts you'd already know that there's no possibility of going back to the old broken forum.  We have to make do with the new broken forum instead.