3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 3, 2013 2:37 PM by Richard Harrison . RSS

DBA freelancing

Karan Kukreja

The idea of freelancing is popular among designers, and most of my friends in RAIL/ruby/python freelance for clients.

But for someone as a DBA is it feasible for me to think of freelancing my services as a DBA? Is this concept for DBAs popular, I havent heard of many myself.

Are there any websites where I could look for freelance oppurtunities?

Why I'm considering at freelancing:

I work in a 24*7 profile, this has been hampering my health. With these hours it is impossible for me to meet my demands at home. In my city I dont have options of doing a regular 9-6 job in a DBA profile, the only oppurtunities available are 24*7. A friend of mine sugested I consider freelancing.

Regards,

kk

• 1. Re: DBA freelancing
          Aman....

Not sure how do you say that you haven't heard about "independent consultants" when there are actually way too many working in many different domains . Anyways, for the starting, have a look at this website,

oracle dba Workers and Jobs | Freelancer.in

Aman....

• 2. Re: DBA freelancing
            EdStevens

804460 wrote:

The idea of freelancing is popular among designers, and most of my friends in RAIL/ruby/python freelance for clients.

But for someone as a DBA is it feasible for me to think of freelancing my services as a DBA? Is this concept for DBAs popular, I havent heard of many myself.

Are there any websites where I could look for freelance oppurtunities?

Why I'm considering at freelancing:

I work in a 24*7 profile, this has been hampering my health. With these hours it is impossible for me to meet my demands at home. In my city I dont have options of doing a regular 9-6 job in a DBA profile, the only oppurtunities available are 24*7. A friend of mine sugested I consider freelancing.

Regards,

kk

How do you think being an independent consultant would free you from being on call 24x7? 

• 3. Re: DBA freelancing
              Richard Harrison .

Hi,

The nature of a DBA job is very different to that of a developer or a designer. Generally simple development work could be given to a supplier (or individual) and they could go away and work on it for a few weeks and then could back with the coded solution (I'm simplifying here...) - giving them full flexibility to do the work when they wanted to do it. This becomes less practical with larger pieces of work where more collaboration is needed.

However DBA jobs are generally involved it just hosting an environment for projects - they are at the call of the projects when they need them. Generally DBA tasks can't just be given to someone to go away and work on for a while.

There is the concept of freelance DBA's which are used the world over but they just do the same job as a permanent member of staff just not on an employed basis - they are contracting their services out via another third party company.

You also get consultants (real experts) who would maybe pick and choose their short term assignments to resolve very specific issues. The people doing this are few and far between.

I think you need to consider a more development focused career path to give more flexibility. Or find an employer who will let you work from home if that is practical.

Regards,

Harry