This discussion is archived
1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2013 12:02 AM by jaag RSS

Unable to install DB 11.2.0.1 on Linux.

User21776251 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

I am trying to install Oracle Database 11.2.0.1 on Linux. Below are install setups path saved.

vishwa@ubuntu:/tmp/orclDisk1$ pwd

/tmp/orclDisk1

vishwa@ubuntu:/tmp/orclDisk1$ ls

Disk1  Disk2

vishwa@ubuntu:/tmp/orclDisk1/Disk1$ ls

doc  install  response  rpm  runInstaller  sshsetup  stage  welcome.html

vishwa@ubuntu:/tmp/orclDisk1/Disk2$ ls

stage

When i tried to install through the following way the i have got Below Errors ...

vishwa@ubuntu:/tmp/orclDisk1/Disk1$ ls

vishwa@ubuntu:/tmp/orclDisk1/Disk1$ ./runInstaller

Starting Oracle Universal Installer...

Checking Temp space: must be greater than 120 MB.   Actual 3868 MB    Passed

Checking swap space: must be greater than 150 MB.   Actual 2045 MB    Passed

Checking monitor: must be configured to display at least 256 colors.    Actual 16777216    Passed

Preparing to launch Oracle Universal Installer from /tmp/OraInstall2013-08-25_10-28-54PM. Please wait ...

Invalid source path '../stage/Components/oracle.jdk/1.5.0.17.0/1/DataFiles' specified for unzip. Unzip command failed. Please check oraparam.ini and specify a valid source path.

: No such file or directory

vishwa@ubuntu:/tmp/orclDisk1/Disk1$

Help me to fix this issue.

• 1. Re: Unable to install DB 11.2.0.1 on Linux.
    Srini Chavali-Oracle Oracle ACE Director

Ubuntu is not a certified distro for installing Oracle (although some folks have had some success). Supported OS versions are listed in the Install Guide. Is there a reason you cannot use freely available OEL, which is a supported OS ? Are you following all of the steps in the Install Guide ?

HTH
    Srini

• 2. Re: Unable to install DB 11.2.0.1 on Linux.
    UserAL1178M Explorer

When you download Oracle you will get two files. In order not to get the above error you must extract two files (disk1, disk2) not only one. They will be extracted in the same folder. Then you can execute ./runInstaller

Regards,

• 3. Re: Unable to install DB 11.2.0.1 on Linux.
    User21776251 Newbie

Hi .. Observed and done. Disk1 and Disk2 unzipped to same directory.

As above stated ...

vishwa@ubuntu:/tmp/orclDisk1$ ls

Disk1  Disk2

• 4. Re: Unable to install DB 11.2.0.1 on Linux.
    UserAL1178M Explorer

When you extract them there must be created only one folder with name database. If you have an windows host try extracting there and then transfer to Linux.

• 5. Re: Unable to install DB 11.2.0.1 on Linux.
    User21776251 Newbie

At Disk1 i found following folders .. doc  install  response  rpm  runInstaller  sshsetup  stage  welcome.html

At Disk2 i found following folder .. stage

You mean both Disk1 and Disk2 should comes under database folder?? I already extracted them in one folder.

Let me know if still need details!!

• 6. Re: Unable to install DB 11.2.0.1 on Linux.
    UserAL1178M Explorer

I mean that content of Disk2/stage must be inside folder Disk1/stage.

So you must have only one folder with doc install response rpm runInstaller sshsetup stage(content of both stages must be here) welcome.html files

As a solution just copy the content of Disk2/stage inside Disk1/stage

• 7. Re: Unable to install DB 11.2.0.1 on Linux.
    User21776251 Newbie

Many Thanks .. Updating soon.

• 8. Re: Unable to install DB 11.2.0.1 on Linux.
    UserAL1178M Explorer

Is your issue solved?

Regards,

• 9. Re: Unable to install DB 11.2.0.1 on Linux.
    EdStevens Guru

User21776251 wrote:

At Disk1 i found following folders .. doc  install  response  rpm  runInstaller  sshsetup  stage  welcome.html

At Disk2 i found following folder .. stage

You mean both Disk1 and Disk2 should comes under database folder?? I already extracted them in one folder.

Let me know if still need details!!

Let's say you have both zip files in one directory.  For the sake of discussion let's call it /downloads. So, with /downloads set as your pwd, simply issue the commands:

unzip disk1.zip

unzip disk2.zip

that will result in /downloads/database, which will contain the contents of both of the zip files.

I don't know why it was suggested that you unzip them in Windows then transfer to unix.  If you try to unzip them in Windows from the GUI, the default behavior will be to unzip disk1.zip into a folder called disk1 and disk2.zip into a folder called disk2.

But it still comes back to the fact you are trying to install on Ubuntu which has already been pointed out to be not a certified platform for Oracle.  Why are you not using a certified OS like Oracle Linux or Red Hat Linux?  The licensing cost of Oracle Linux is exactly the same as Ubuntu -- US$0.00.

• 10. Re: Unable to install DB 11.2.0.1 on Linux.
    UserAL1178M Explorer

EdStevens wrote:

I don't know why it was suggested that you unzip them in Windows then transfer to unix.  If you try to unzip them in Windows from the GUI, the default behavior will be to unzip disk1.zip into a folder called disk1 and disk2.zip into a folder called disk2.

If both .zip files are in the same folder by using Extract Here option of WinRAR they will be extracted in the same folder, in our case in database folder.

• 11. Re: Unable to install DB 11.2.0.1 on Linux.
    EdStevens Guru

UserAL1178M wrote:

EdStevens wrote:

If both .zip files are in the same folder by using Extract Here option of WinRAR they will be extracted in the same folder, in our case in database folder.

Yes, but that is not the default selection made by the Windows GUI, and unfortunately, many, many windows users never get past the defaults of anything.

Regardless, there is no reason to unzip a linux installation on Windows before moving it to linux.

• 12. Re: Unable to install DB 11.2.0.1 on Linux.
    User21776251 Newbie

Sorry for delying reply. .. As above post i put two zip file V17530-01_1of2 and V17530-01_2of2 and then unzipped both  to one folder (database) but when i copied to Linux I don't see 'runInstaller' as executive file. Below details ...

oiam@user:~/Desktop/database$ ls

oiam@user:~/Desktop/database$ cd install/

oiam@user:~/Desktop/database/install$ ls

Let me know further proceedings. .. .Thanks

• 13. Re: Unable to install DB 11.2.0.1 on Linux.
    User21776251 Newbie

Sorry for delying reply. .. As above post i put two zip file V17530-01_1of2 and V17530-01_2of2 and then unzipped both  to one folder (database) but when i copied to Linux I don't see 'runInstaller' as executive file. Below details ...

oiam@user:~/Desktop/database$ cd install/

oiam@user:~/Desktop/database/install$ ls

Let me know further proceedings. .. .Thanks

• 14. Re: Unable to install DB 11.2.0.1 on Linux.
    UserAL1178M Explorer

User21776251 wrote:

doc  install  response  rpm  runInstaller sshsetup  stage  welcome.html

runInstaller is just above. To run it execute ./runInstaller

1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points