This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2013 1:02 AM by MahirM.Quluzade RSS

11gR2 Single Instance Dataguard to RAC Primary

969766 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi,

My questions are about the following scenary:

I have RAC 11gR2 with 2 nodes on the primary site, on the secondary I'll have a single instance Dataguard. So I have these questions :

1) When I configure my secondary site, I'll have to configure Data Guard using only one RAC node , because a single Data Guard instance can receive log from only one node?

2) In the case that I'd have a RAC Data Guard, this will be able to receive log from multiple instances but only one will be able to apply it?

Thanks for helping me.

Pablo

• 1. Re: 11gR2 Single Instance Dataguard to RAC Primary
    mseberg Guru

Hello;

For question 1 assuming I understand the question. No you would configure both to send redo to the standby. Consider this query:

Select thread#,sequence#,applied from v$archived_log;

It should show each thread that sends logs.

This should help with question 2:

A! Help: RAC to Single Instance Physical Standby

Best Regards

mseberg

• 2. Re: 11gR2 Single Instance Dataguard to RAC Primary
    MahirM.Quluzade Guru

969766 wrote:

Hi,

My questions are about the following scenary:

I have RAC 11gR2 with 2 nodes on the primary site, on the secondary I'll have a single instance Dataguard. So I have these questions :

1) When I configure my secondary site, I'll have to configure Data Guard using only one RAC node , because a single Data Guard instance can receive log from only one node?

2) In the case that I'd have a RAC Data Guard, this will be able to receive log from multiple instances but only one will be able to apply it?

Thanks for helping me.

Pablo

Hi,

As you know, on every  RAC node have itself redo logs and thread# for every instance.

So, if you have 2 node RAC database, then you have 2 threads working on itself redo logs.

1. When you configure Data guard on RAC database, then you configure log_archive_dest_n parameter for every instance.

It means all instances send itself redo logs to standby side.

2. When you create standby  database from RAC database.  Then you are duplicate RAC database to single database.

It means every thread running on single instance. Apply process is apply received redo from  all instances.

Regards

Mahir M. Quluzade

• 3. Re: 11gR2 Single Instance Dataguard to RAC Primary
    969766 Newbie

Thanks a lot Mahir, my last questions: what happen when I switch between RAC Primary and Standby single instance, both  RAC node become standby?.

Thank you for your help.

Pablo

• 4. Re: 11gR2 Single Instance Dataguard to RAC Primary
    MahirM.Quluzade Guru

Hi Pablo.

As  you know, RAC is running a database multi instances. Role change is depend database, other words when you switch RAC primary to Standby database,
    then database role is changing to  Standby  database. All instances, know database is running Standby role.

Regards

Mahir M. Quluzade

http://www.mahir-quluzade.com

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points