4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 24, 2013 6:53 AM by AGM RSS

Data Modeler doesn't open correctly

user8968316

I used the new data modeler version 4 yesterday. Today I tried to open it and it simply doesn't open correctly. It doesn't show the entire File menu, for instance. I am not able to open my design. What could be wrong?

• 1. Re: Data Modeler doesn't open correctly
          BrianShaver

I encountered what I believe was the same problem you are describing. I believed the cause was some kind of bug in the migration of preferences from my previous SDDM 3.3 version. If I'm remembering correctly, it asks you if you want to migrate your preferences from a previous version during the initial startup of SDDM 4. I said yes the first time and was left with completely non-functional SDDM 4 after startup.

The solution I found was to remove the SDDM 4 preference directory and restart again saying, "No" to the preference migration. The preferences for me ( on a Mac ) are located under ~/.oraclesqldeveloperdatamodeler/system4.0.0.816/.

Just now I've repeated this process, deleting the SDDM 4 preference directory, restart and say "Yes" to importing 3.3 preference. After startup, I'm again in a state where the application is unusable, I can't open a model, or create a new model.

Hope this helps.

Brian..

• 2. Re: Data Modeler doesn't open correctly
            user8968316

Brian,

Thanks for your answer. In my case, I removed the SDDM 4 preference directory and restarted it saying "Yes" to the preference migration and it started working fine again. I have no clue as why it happened in the first place.

• 3. Re: Data Modeler doesn't open correctly
              user8968316

Well, after shutting down my computer, the problem is back again. Had to remove the preference directory in order to get  SDDM 4 back to work.

• 4. Re: Data Modeler doesn't open correctly
                AGM

I also faced this issue with Data Modeler 4.0EA2 (v4.0.0.820) after accepting the settings migration of preferences from my previous DM v3.3.0.747 installation.

The solution to getting SDDM 4.0EA2 back to work was that Brian described: delete the preferences folder (on a Windows 7) C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler\system4.0.0.820