This discussion is archived
4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2013 1:55 PM by SomeoneElse RSS

Largest number of digits for NUMBER datatype?

user109389 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

What is the largest length of a NUMBER that Oracle will "support"?

The documentation says the following:

Datatype Limits indicates:

"Can be represented to full 38-digit precision"

NUMBER Data Types indicates:

"Oracle guarantees the portability of numbers with precision of up to 20 base-100 digits, which is equivalent to 39 or 40 decimal digits depending on the position of the decimal point."

I realize if I define a column as simply NUMBER, I can insert numbers with a size up to 126 digits.  However, Oracle seems to only maintain the first 40 digits IN MOST cases.  The most number of digits it seems to allow is 40 before it starts to replace with 0's.

With numbers that have more than 40 digits, Oracle will sometimes replace any numbers after the 38th digit with a 0 and other times will replace with 0 after the 39th or 40th digit.

Therefore, what is the most number of digits we can have confidence in Oracle storing safely?

This was the code I used for testing this process.

create table max_num (num number);

declare

l_x number;

begin

for x in 1..200

loop

l_x := x;

insert into max_num values (rpad(1, x, 1));

end loop;

exception

when others then

dbms_output.put_line('STOP: '||l_x);

dbms_output.put_line(sqlerrm);

end;

/

select num, length(replace(num, 0)) from max_num;

• 1. Re: Largest number of digits for NUMBER datatype?
    Frank Kulash Guru

Hi,

user109389 wrote:

The documentation says the following:

Datatype Limits indicates:

"Can be represented to full 38-digit precision"

NUMBER Data Types indicates:

"Oracle guarantees the portability of numbers with precision of up to 20 base-100 digits, which is equivalent to 39 or 40 decimal digits depending on the position of the decimal point."

I realize if I define a column as simply NUMBER, I can insert numbers with a size up to 126 digits.  However, Oracle seems to only maintain the first 40 digits IN MOST cases.  The most number of digits it seems to allow is 40 before it starts to replace with 0's.

With numbers that have more than 40 digits, Oracle will sometimes replace any numbers after the 38th digit with a 0 and other times will replace with 0 after the 39th or 40th digit.

Therefore, what is the most number of digits we can have confidence in Oracle storing safely?...

If the documentation says 38, then I'll say 38, too.

If you put in a number greater than or equal to 1E39, then Oracle may round it to 38 significant digits; that is, the last digits you entered may get turned to 0's, or rounded up.

• 2. Re: Largest number of digits for NUMBER datatype?
    BrendanP Journeyer

38 sf is not bad:

Most precise clock to watch tiniest ever time dilations - physics-math - 22 August 2013 - New Scientist

Now, Ludlow and his colleagues have created ytterbium clocks that are stable to one part in a quintillion (1018): it would take a quintillion ticks to find one that is different from its neighbours.

On the other hand. it can fall short sometimes ...

The number of atoms in the entire observable universe is estimated to be within the range of 1078 to 1082

Read more: http://www.universetoday.com/36302/atoms-in-the-universe/#ixzz2e3NwCYx1

• 3. Re: Largest number of digits for NUMBER datatype?
    SomeoneElse Guru

> Now, Ludlow and his colleagues have created ytterbium clocks that are stable to one part in a quintillion (1018):

As long as they remember to wind it.

• 4. Re: Largest number of digits for NUMBER datatype?
    rp0428 Guru

You've already provided your own answer. If 'length' means the maximum number of digits if written out then the doc gave you the answer:

999...(38 9's) x10125 maximum value

The 38/39/40 referred to in the doc means 'significant digits'. That is why the rounding or truncating occurs if you provide more than the 38/39/40 significant digits.

Oracle stores numbers internally in a 21-byte binary format using a structure documented in the OCI doc in the 'NUMBER' section.

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/appdev.112/e10646/oci03typ.htm#i423684

Oracle Database stores values of the NUMBER data type in a variable-length format. The first byte is the exponent and is followed by 1 to 20 mantissa bytes. The high-order bit of the exponent byte is the sign bit; it is set for positive numbers, and it is cleared for negative numbers. The lower 7 bits represent the exponent, which is a base-100 digit with an offset of 65.

That doc section goes on to show you how to convert the internal format to the actual value.

An additional 1 byte is used for all datatypes to store the length; that is why you commonly see docs saying numbers can take 22 bytes.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points