This discussion is archived
12 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2013 8:05 AM by lagoued RSS

Oracle Client 7 & 8

lagoued Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Good morning everyone,

I have a client who wants to migrates from XP to Seven 64 Bits and be able to keep using the Client 7 and Client8.

I know that it's impossible, because the first compatible version according to my knowledge is the version 11gR2. However he asks me to do it.

So I am looking any kind of document that proves my point.

Problem is those softwares are so out of date that I can't find any official information on the site.

Can anyone help me to find it?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Oracle Client 7 & 8
    JohnWatson Guru

You say that running a 7 or 8 client on Windows 7 is impossible, but have you actually tried it? It won't be certified, but that does not mean that it will not work. Have a go!

Some people get really upset about running uncertified combinations, but they often work perfectly. Sure, if you raise a TAR you might get nothing back. But 7 is out of support anyway and for 8.1.7 you would need to have bought a sustaining support contract, so lack of support probably doesn't apply.

• 2. Re: Oracle Client 7 & 8
    lagoued Newbie

Hello

I am not running those clients on Windows 7.

Both client seems to have a random behavior on the OS : the same response file will randomly installs different components all at random

All I need is an official Oracle documents saying which is the first Oracle Client version Windows Seven compatible.

Something that i can show to he client to prove I am right

If you have any lead where i can find this information I would be Happy to have it.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Oracle Client 7 & 8
    sybrand_b Guru

On My Oracle Support there are certification matrices by platform (OS)

-----------

Sybrand Bakker

Senior Oracle DBA

• 4. Re: Oracle Client 7 & 8
    lagoued Newbie

Sadly I don't have any Support Identifier number.

I cannot have acces to these informations

• 5. Re: Oracle Client 7 & 8
    JohnWatson Guru

lagoued wrote:

Hello

I am not running those clients on Windows 7.

Both client seems to have a random behavior on the OS : the same response file will randomly installs different components all at random

All I need is an official Oracle documents saying which is the first Oracle Client version Windows Seven compatible.

Something that i can show to he client to prove I am right

If you have any lead where i can find this information I would be Happy to have it.

Thanks

Unfortunately, I don't think that even if you had access to MOS you would find anything useful. All Oracle will tell you is product/OS combinations that are certified, not about combinations that are compatible. Clearly, your client is not worried about certification and support, or they wouldn't want to use O7. So any MOS docs won't help you.

You say that you have tried to install O7 and O8, and they didn't work on Windows 7. What more do you need? Is that not proof enough?

Or does the client suspect that you can't make them work because you haven't tried hard enough? The issue you describe sounds more like a problem with using the installer than a problem with the OS.

• 6. Re: Oracle Client 7 & 8
    lagoued Newbie

You are right the client suspect that I can't make them work because I haven't tried hard enough.

I can use the installer. The install runs correctly.

When I make the standard verifications, the PATH variable is never defined with the ora_home path. The registry key is present but nothing inside when I use "set" in a cmd.

This point tend to prove that the clients aren't Seven compatible.

But I need to present more evidence to convince him and I thought that I might be able to find this information on Oracle Website.

Thanks

• 7. Re: Oracle Client 7 & 8
    sb92075 Guru

>So I am looking any kind of document that proves my point.

You can't prove a negative.

• 8. Re: Oracle Client 7 & 8
    Richard Harrison . Expert

Hi,

MOS doc 1307195.1 shows what you need to know - even if you can't access it surely your client can?

Regards,

Harry

• 9. Re: Oracle Client 7 & 8
    lagoued Newbie

Sorry but my English skills aren't strong enough to get the subtility in your post.

• 10. Re: Oracle Client 7 & 8
    lagoued Newbie

As far as i know my client haven't any kind of contract with Oracle
    But thanks for your help.

• 11. Re: Oracle Client 7 & 8
    sb92075 Guru

lagoued wrote:

Sorry but my English skills aren't strong enough to get the subtility in your post.

It is not possible to prove that something can NOT be done.

Nothing is impossible for the person who does not have to actually do it.

• 12. Re: Oracle Client 7 & 8
    lagoued Newbie

Thanks for your answer.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points