This discussion is archived
3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 11, 2013 2:46 PM by WVanSluys RSS

Hyperion IR - Predictive Analytics

ScriptMan Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Can anyone tell me if Hyperion IR can perform predictive analytics.  For example, If I have Sales Volumes for each month for the past 3 years can I have it extrapolate and predict the next 12 months monthly volumes? Also, what if we include mutiple variables such as dependent and independent as with a linear regression model.  Is there any feature that comes close to futuristic modeling in Hyperion IR ?

• 1. Re: Hyperion IR - Predictive Analytics
    hyperion_mike91 Newbie

My guess is you want to use Interactive Reporting because you are already using that to retrieve actuals information, or maybe you want to show this data in a nice Pivot or Report section.

You could code the 'extrapolate' logic using a Computed Item in your Results section, then use the Computed Item field in other sections (like a Pivot or Report).  i.e. you could calculate in a computed item the % change in volume each year, and use that percentage to forecast next year values. Or, you could code similar logic using MS Excel.  Even if you were using a Forecast/Planning tool you would need to build the requirements logic in to a calculation script or business rule.

Hope this helps,

Mike

• 2. Re: Hyperion IR - Predictive Analytics
    ScriptMan Newbie

I am using Hyperion IR vs 9

Computed Items will require intervention from me with manually governed growth rates (% increase/decrease). I'm actually looking for someting more sophisticated where there the slope of the growth(or decline) is calculated by a linear equation.  Wasn't sure if using Hyperion IR is commonly used in this fashion to make future trend assumptions.  I am certain I'm going to be asked by my constituents if it can.

• 3. Re: Hyperion IR - Predictive Analytics
    WVanSluys Pro

IR is really not designed for what you are wanting.  You can Query and get rows of data for Actuals, but there is no mechanism to Add rows for future months.

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points