8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 6, 2013 3:51 PM by EdStevens RSS

DB and Network

OracleNewbie828

Client: Win7

Client: 11g

DB: 11gR2

If my client ip is xxx.10.xxx.xxx and the db ip is xxx.8.xxx.xxx ;

1) is this considered different subnet?

2) is there a special thing I need to do to connect to the DB?

The problem I'm facing is I'm able to connect from my desktop (client) - xxx.10.xxx.xxx to db with ip xxx.10.xxx.xxx. However, when I try to connect to db with ip xxx.8.xxx.xxx; I get an ORA-00600 internal error code. Both server information are on the same TNSNAMES.ORA file.

Help?

• 1. Re: DB and Network
          sb92075

OracleNewbie828 wrote:

The problem I'm facing is I'm able to connect from my desktop (client) - xxx.10.xxx.xxx to db with ip xxx.10.xxx.xxx. However, when I try to connect to db with ip xxx.8.xxx.xxx; I get an ORA-00600 internal error code. Both server information are on the same TNSNAMES.ORA file.

Help?

any & all networking is done at the OS level.

if you can not ping xxx.8.xxx.xxx, then Oracle is sure to fail to connect to it.

BTW, a Firewall might be part of the problem; then again it might not even exist.

• 2. Re: DB and Network
            OracleNewbie828

I can ping xxx.8.xxx.xxx

• 3. Re: DB and Network
              sb92075

ORA-00600/ORA-07445/ORA-03113 = Oracle bug => search on Metalink and/or call Oracle support

• 4. Re: DB and Network
                EdStevens

OracleNewbie828 wrote:

Help?

"Both server information are in the same TNSNAMES.ORA file"

Of course they are in the same tnsnames.ora.  A given client (like the one on your desktop) only has one tnsnames.ora.

And that is no guarantee that because information for one database is right the other must be as well.  That's like having a telephone directory, using the number listed for "Jim" works but the one for "Bob" doesn't.

Frankly, I seriously doubt that ORA-0600 has anything to do with your network setup.  I'd expect you to have actually reached a database in order to get that error.

But you've really given us little to nothing to work with.

It sound from your description that you have a database on your desktop and another database on a server somewhere.

From your desktop open a command prompt and issue the following commands:

tnsping <name of database you can connect to>

tnsping <name of database that throws error>

Copy the entire session -- full command and full response -- and past back here.

In the meantime, here's some reading you might find helpful:

see: http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/09/sqlnet_overview/  (Help! I can’t connect to my database  )

see: http://edstevensdba.wordpress.com/2011/02/16/sqlnet_client_cfg/  ( Help! I can’t connect to my database (part duex) )

• 5. Re: DB and Network
                  OracleNewbie828

My desktop only has Oracle Client.

TNSPING on both db returns OK

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2822/9686349159_81fe5f5e3f_b.jpg

• 6. Re: DB and Network
                    OracleNewbie828

There was nothing wrong with the client side.

Wish I have more information to update future visitors to this thread; but, I did not administer the db that I was not able to connect to. Another DBA does. Anyway, I had to show him I was able to connect to an 11gR2 instance that I administer and was not able to connect to the 11gR2 instance that he administers.

And all he said was "there was a few objects that was invalid, so he recompiled." I asked what objects, he has declined to comment on that.

Thank you all for your effort.

• 7. Re: DB and Network
                      EdStevens

OracleNewbie828 wrote:

My desktop only has Oracle Client.

TNSPING on both db returns OK

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2822/9686349159_81fe5f5e3f_b.jpg

I had asked you to copy and paste from a command prompt. Not post a jpg to some site that my firewall blocks.

• 8. Re: DB and Network
                        EdStevens

OracleNewbie828 wrote:

There was nothing wrong with the client side.

Wish I have more information to update future visitors to this thread; but, I did not administer the db that I was not able to connect to. Another DBA does. Anyway, I had to show him I was able to connect to an 11gR2 instance that I administer and was not able to connect to the 11gR2 instance that he administers.

And all he said was "there was a few objects that was invalid, so he recompiled." I asked what objects, he has declined to comment on that.

Thank you all for your effort.

Sounds like an internal political problem ...