This discussion is locked
1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply: Dec 17, 2013 10:39 AM by Jeff Smith SQLDev PM Branched to a new discussion. RSS

SQL Developer 4 bugs

xxsawer Explorer
Currently Being Moderated

Hi guys,

I finally had some time to download and run new version.

Unfortunatelly I must say that you fulfilled your unwritten rule - every new release = less usability.

1) If you click on a table to display the list of columns a tab with a table should open. Click on the same table in the table tree again and...table with the same name opens again. So you have two tabs with the same tale opened. As a bonus, the table tab is marked with the connection name which makes it wider - probably to have less space.

Funny is that you are still not able to have right such basic functionality as opening a table -> even when you click the table in the tree just once, it can reload the table several times and thus creating several tabs with the same table opened. First time I clicked on first table, I got 4 tabs opened and it took about 15s to open it.

Similar applies when opening packages (and probably other objects). You are probably reloading a package several times, so it is happening from time to time that you have more than one tab with the same package opened. Some of them are empty.

2) Scrolling in the table is incredibly slow - unusable.

3) When opening a table, you often get Connection busy warning. This bug was present even before, but you made it worst. If I click abort then the table is not loaded any more. Not even if I click the refresh button.

4) You have probably redesigned the View menu. This is nice, but by making it bigger it will not fit on my screen and scrolling in the menu of course doesn't work. The same applies for example to the Worksheet button. If you have many connection you can not select them from here since the menu doesn't fit on the screen...

• 1. Re: SQL Developer 4 bugs
    Jeff Smith SQLDev PM ACE Moderator

I must have missed that rule, but that's why we have these Early Adopters: to flush out the show stoppers and get it production ready.

Let's go through your issues:

1)I'm not able to reproduce this. If I click on a table, it does open - but only because I've told it to, i.e. Tools > Preferences > Database > ObjectViewer > Open Object on Single Click.

If you want JUST a list of columns, without opening said table, don't click on the table name, click on the + tree item to expand the column list. However, that being said, if the table is already open, clicking on it again doesn't open a new instance of the table editor for me. It SOUNDS like you have Tools > Preferences > Database > ObjectViewer > Automatically Freeze Object Viewer Windows.

Can you check these two preferences and adjust accordingly as needed?

2) Can you provide a bit more detail? Can you compare the behavior with what you see in version 3.2? Also confirm your 'Sql Array Fetch Size' preference is set appropriately? Using PgDn to scroll is broken in this build, but it's fixed for the next EA if that's what you're talking about.

3)We've seen this message occurrence go down, not up. Obviously that's not your experience. Are you saying you're seeing this on every table object open/click? What happens if you just click on OK instead of Abort?

4) What's your screen resolution? The View menu is a work in progress. We plan on grouping related objects to new Flyout menus. I'm not sure what you mean by 'the Worksheet button.' Do you mean the drop-down control on the new worksheet button on the main toolbar? How many connections do you have defined?

>>As a bonus, the table tab is marked with the connection name which makes it wider - probably to have less space.

Good point. I'm not sure this change was a deliberate move from the behavior we have in v3.2 or something with the new framework we're using. I agree it's probably overkill since a mouseover on the object editor conveys the same information. We'll talk this one over and see what's what.

Thanks for your feedback. We'll have another EA update for you soon to re-evaluate.

As for usability - that's our #1 goal. Thanks for helping to keep us honest.

• 2. Re: SQL Developer 4 bugs

>>As a bonus, the table tab is marked with the connection name which makes it wider - probably to have less space.

Yeah, that's going to get nuked soon. Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

• 3. Re: SQL Developer 4 bugs
    dhalek Explorer

I observe a similar issue as xxsawer's point 2).

When you have the table data shown in the grid and then use the scollwheel on the mouse, the contents is scrolled pixelwise instead of rowwise. Maybe that's what xxsawer meant.

In the result grid of the SQL worksheet it works as expected and desired though.

Regards,

dhalek

• 4. Re: SQL Developer 4 bugs
    xxsawer Explorer

Hi Jeff,

were bugs mentioned in this thread fixed in production release?

• 5. Re: SQL Developer 4 bugs

The only confirmed bug, object name editors being appended with connection names, was indeed addressed.

• 6. Re: SQL Developer 4 bugs
    Arpod Newbie

For a record, I observe bug #2 in SQLDeveloper 4 release as well. The grid with on table->data tab (and other similar tabs) scrolls by 2-3 pixels with each scroll wheel turn. Scrolling works normally in code editor.

• 7. Re: SQL Developer 4 bugs

The mouse-wheel scroll pixel-by-pixel bug was fixed for the official v4.0 release. I'm not seeing this behavior in the official build. I'm browsing the contents of SH.SALES. Each mouse scroll gets me about 3 rows, not 3 pixels.

• 8. Re: SQL Developer 4 bugs
    RichS Newbie

I'm using the 4.0 on Oracle Linux and I'm seeing a pixel-by-pixel scroll when using the mouse wheel.

• 9. Re: SQL Developer 4 bugs
    Arpod Newbie

I also use Debian Linux. Maybe it's a linux-specific problem?

• 10. Re: SQL Developer 4 bugs
    dz_r Newbie

Hi,

I'm working on Windows XP, latest version of SQL Developer.

I'm right clicking on table, selecting "Open", then:

- On page "Columns" scrolling is very slow (about 20 "clicks" needed to scroll 1 row)

- On page "Data" scrolling is slow (about 7 "clicks" needed to scroll 1 row)

- On page "Constraints" scrolling is fast (1 "click" scrolls 3 rows)

- I'm returning to page "Columns" - scrolling is fast now (1 "click" scrolls 3 rows)

- I'm returning to page "Data" - scrolling is fast now (1 "click" scrolls 3 rows)

• 11. Re: SQL Developer 4 bugs
    Marwim Expert

I'm working on Windows XP, latest version of SQL Developer.

- On page "Columns" scrolling is very slow (about 20 "clicks" needed to scroll 1 row)

- I'm returning to page "Columns" - scrolling is fast now (1 "click" scrolls 3 rows)

- I'm returning to page "Data" - scrolling is fast now (1 "click" scrolls 3 rows)

Hello,

I also use XP and can confirm the scrolling issue in 4.0. In 3.2.2 scrolling in "Columns" and "Data" is always fast. Both versions have a scrolling problem in the "Single Record View", in 4.0 even after scrolling in the "Constraints" tab.

Regards

Marcus

• 12. Re: SQL Developer 4 bugs
    Arpod Newbie

I can confirm the exact same behavior on my install. Additionally, when I scroll down after last step, every time more rows are loaded, the grid automatically scrolls to the top.

• 13. Re: SQL Developer 4 bugs
    xxsawer Explorer

Hi Jeff,

I was asking for purpose because only point 3) seems to be somehow corrected. But even this I cannot say for sure because I am not using this release.

1) This is not fixed for all cases. Please consider that I have the Autofreeze option turned on. Open some connection. Open list of packages. Open some package spec, then the body of the same package. I see you have added some "arrows" to the left of the Procedure/Function heading. This should navigate to the same function in package body (when clicking the arrow in spec) or to package spec (when clicking the arrow in package body). Now click the arrow in package spec and... new tab with package body is displayed. So we have now two tabs for the same package body.

2) Scrolling issue is of course not fixed at all. Sorry, but this makes this release unusable. What else do you think people are using SQL Developer then for scrolling through records?

3) This seems to be somehow fixed

4) View menu seems to be probably redesigned, but instead doing it scrollable, you have removed some options. Menu under worksheet button is of course as it was before, not scrollable = wrong.

Btw. I am quite sure that some posts from this thread were deleted namely mine and yours, any explanation?

• 14. Re: SQL Developer 4 bugs
    xxsawer Explorer

When already talking about the scrolling issue...you have introduced another bug related with scrolling. Open some table with some data and scroll down with mouse. When Developer fetches next record from the cursor, the table is always scrolled up to the first row.

1 2 Previous Next

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points