1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2013 8:02 PM by yxes2013 RSS

    Rman DB  backup files

    yxes2013

      Hi all,

       

      I checked our rmanbackup folder and we have these files:

       

      -rw-------    1 oracle   dba        12517376 Sep 05 13:10 ctrl_g2oj3c9j_1_1

      -rw-------    1 oracle   dba        12517376 Sep 05 13:10 ctrl_stby_g1oj3c9h_1_1

      -rw-------    1 oracle   dba         1194496 Sep 05 13:10 db_g0oj3c9f_1_1

      -rw-------    1 oracle   dba    1053146112 Sep 05 13:05 db_fooj3bmr_1_1

      -rw-------    1 oracle   dba        17511424 Sep 05 13:05 db_fpoj3c0n_1_1

      -rw-------    1 oracle   dba    1273348608 Sep 05 13:05 db_floj3bmr_1_1

      -rw-------    1 oracle   dba    1197198336 Sep 05 13:05 db_fnoj3bmr_1_1

      -rw-------    1 oracle   dba    1051112960 Sep 05 13:05 db_fmoj3bmr_1_1

       

      I can see that there is always a set of 4-files everyday.

      I can understand that the first 2 is the controlfile backup.

      I can understand the the others are the db backup. Why is it splitted into 6 parts? Does it mean that we use 6 disk channel parallel io backup?

       

      Thanks a lot,

      zxy

        • 1. Re: Rman DB  backup files
          sb92075

          consider to actually Read The Fine Manual instead of being a lazy sloth who pollutes this forum with questions answered by existing documentation!

          • 2. Re: Rman DB  backup files
            Aman....

            RMAN takes the backup in the backup piece format. Based on the size of the backup piece, whether they are supposed to be multiplexed or not, the number of pieces would be found. As Sb mentioned, you need to spend time reading the Backup and Recovery guide of the documentation.

             

            HTH

            Aman....

            • 3. Re: Rman DB  backup files
              yxes2013

              Ok, I am reading now hence the question

               

              Next question: Which is better to use  A or B?

               

              A.

              ========

                  RUN {

                    ALLOCATE CHANNEL ch1 TYPE

                      DISK FORMAT 'C:\oracle\backup\DB10G%d_DB_%u_%s_%p';

                    BACKUP DATABASE PLUS ARCHIVELOG;

                    RELEASE CHANNEL ch1;

                  }

               

              B.

              ========

              run

              {

              backup incremental level 0 database plus archivelog delete input;

              backup archivelog all delete input;

              delete force noprompt obsolete;

              backup current controlfile spfile;

              }

               

              Thanks

              • 4. Re: Rman DB  backup files
                EdStevens

                yxes2013 wrote:

                 

                Ok, I am reading now hence the question

                 

                Next question: Which is better to use  A or B?

                 

                A.

                ========

                    RUN {

                      ALLOCATE CHANNEL ch1 TYPE

                        DISK FORMAT 'C:\oracle\backup\DB10G%d_DB_%u_%s_%p';

                      BACKUP DATABASE PLUS ARCHIVELOG;

                      RELEASE CHANNEL ch1;

                    }

                 

                B.

                ========

                run

                {

                backup incremental level 0 database plus archivelog delete input;

                backup archivelog all delete input;

                delete force noprompt obsolete;

                backup current controlfile spfile;

                }

                 

                Thanks

                 

                 

                Define "better".

                Which one most closely meets your needs?

                Would your needs be better met with the un-stated option C?

                 

                Have you actually given thought to the differences between A and B ... what one does that the other doesn't?

                • 5. Re: Rman DB  backup files
                  JohnWatson

                  sb92075 wrote:

                   

                  consider to actually Read The Fine Manual instead of being a lazy sloth who pollutes this forum with questions answered by existing documentation!

                  Wow! This answer has been marked helpful!!

                  Thank you SB and the Lazy Sloth, you have made my day.

                  • 6. Re: Rman DB  backup files
                    yxes2013

                    Well, what I mean is in general by default. That is applicable to all new installed oracle generic database.

                    • 7. Re: Rman DB  backup files
                      EdStevens

                      yxes2013 wrote:

                       

                      Well, what I mean is in general by default. That is applicable to all new installed oracle generic database.

                      When it comes to backup and recovery, I don't know of "general by default" or "generic database".  I only know of actual databases in actual businesses that have actual business recovery needs, actual service level expectations, and actual constraints on disk space availability.

                       

                      I will not spoon feed you.

                       

                      Go back to the two options you gave.  Figure out what each command does.  Figure out what one option does that the other doesn't.  Think about that in terms of your specific needs.

                      • 8. Re: Rman DB  backup files
                        yxes2013

                        Ok fine

                         

                        Haisst, why all the people here seem to go complicated process, when I only need simple process.

                         

                        What meant is the simples command rman has:

                         

                        like

                         

                        rman

                        { backup database}

                        /

                        • 9. Re: Rman DB  backup files
                          sb92075

                          yxes2013 wrote:

                           

                          Ok fine

                           

                          Haisst, why all the people here seem to go complicated process, when I only need simple process.

                           

                          What meant is the simples command rman has:

                           

                          like

                           

                          rman

                          { backup database}

                          /

                           

                          It means that you are still a LAZY sloth who refuses to Read The Fine Manual, yourself!

                          • 10. Re: Rman DB  backup files
                            EdStevens

                            yxes2013 wrote:

                             

                            Ok fine

                             

                            Haisst, why all the people here seem to go complicated process, when I only need simple process.

                             

                            What meant is the simples command rman has:

                             

                            like

                             

                            rman

                            { backup database}

                            /

                            Because what you consider to be "complicated" is what is needed to fulfill the business requirements.

                            Your "simple" command will not back up your archive log files.

                            Your "simple" command will not keep your archivelog destination from consuming all available disk space.

                            Your "simple" command will not free up disk space by deleting backups that are no longer needed.

                            Your "simple" command will not minimize time spent taking backups.

                            Your "simple" command will not minimize disk space consumed by backups.

                            Your "simple" command could very well leave you unable to recover your database in a manner that saves the business.

                            • 11. Re: Rman DB  backup files
                              yxes2013

                              Thanks

                               

                              Why not  just oracle give a standard option that do all what u said as a simple package command. Since it is the right one to be used for those who have no time to mix up lots of options.

                              • 12. Re: Rman DB  backup files
                                sb92075

                                >Since it is the right one to be used for those who have no time to mix up lots of options.

                                idiotproof for those who are too lazy to RTFM?

                                 

                                 

                                submit improvement request for new RMAN capability

                                 

                                RMAN> CYA

                                • 13. Re: Rman DB  backup files
                                  EdStevens

                                  yxes2013 wrote:

                                   

                                  Thanks

                                   

                                  Why not  just oracle give a standard option that do all what u said as a simple package command. Since it is the right one to be used for those who have no time to mix up lots of options.

                                  Because no two databases have exactly the same requirements.  Being able to sort it out is what DBAs supposedly get paid the big bucks for.  To paraphrase Tom Hanks's character in A League of Their Own,  "Of course it's hard.  If it were easy, everyone could do it.  The 'hard' is what justifies our pay."

                                   

                                  Oracle is a powerful product.  With power comes complexity.  If you are looking for "easy", go see Microsoft Access.

                                  • 14. Re: Rman DB  backup files
                                    Javier Francisco Ruiz

                                    Ed Stevens,

                                     

                                    I like you always direct and to the point

                                    1 2 Previous Next