3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 25, 2013 11:59 PM by 950861 RSS

-XXgcthreads value

Dear all,

In our production system (OSB) XXgcthreads value by defalt taking as 73. i .e it is creating 73 threads in the system. what exactly it means. like this if i have 2 jvms on the same system. in this case if this jvm alos creates 73. do i need to adjust this value accordingly. if i am adjusting - how do i need to adjust. how much XXgcthreads need to set for Admin Server?

Right now we have 5 jvm's running on one box (2 Virtual Systems) what would be the proper value XXgcthreads.

thanks

pr

• 1. Re: -XXgcthreads value

hi all,

can some body through light on it.

• 2. Re: -XXgcthreads value
            togotutor

This option specifies how many garbage collection threads the garbage collector will use. This applies both to parallel nursery and parallel old space collectors as well as the concurrent and deterministic collector.

ParameterDescription
            all=number of threads 

Specifies the same number of garbage collection threads for all garbage collectors (young, concurrent, and parallel).

yc=number of threads 

Specifies the number of garbage collection threads that the young collector uses in parallel.

con=number of threads 

Specifies the number of garbage collection threads that the old collector uses in parallel during concurrent phases.

par=number of threads 

Specifies the number of garbage collection threads that the old collector uses in parallel during the stopped (paused) phases.

Example

java -XXgcThreads:yc=4,con=2,par=4 

Default Values

By default, these values are based on the number of cores and hardware threads on the machine.

Source: -XX Command-Line Options - Release R28

• 3. Re: -XXgcthreads value

Yes. Thanks.

Is there any issue, if i have less numbers of hardware threads thank this value. what should be ideal value for this for Managed Servers.

for Admin server what would be the ideal value.

thanks

PR