6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2013 8:15 AM by Kent Graziano RSS

Can't get DDL generator to work.

user8093006

As I become with more familiar with Orable SQL Developer, it becomes increasingky clear that this tool is completely unfit for intended purpose.

It's taken me over an hour to reverse-engineer a 1600-table schema today , a task that would take 5-10 minutes in Powerdesigner.

I then attempted to generate a DDL export of the resulting schema without success ; it just accepted my parameters  then appeared

to just loose interest and stop exceuting , without producing anything.

Bordering on useless .  

• 1. Re: Can't get DDL generator to work.
          Kent Graziano

Sorry to hear that. I have been using the tool for over 3 years now and am quite happy with it, especially given the price!

I currently am using it with a schema of over 500 tables with no issues. It takes about 5 minutes to import the model.

What version are you using? What type of desktop/laptop/workstation are you running on? One of my colleagues was having a performance issue recently that turned out to be due to the fact he was saving everything to a shared network drive. When he switched to save on his local machine, the problem went away.

• 2. Re: Can't get DDL generator to work.
            Guenter Reberschak, TU GRAZ

user8093006 schrieb:

As I become with more familiar with Orable SQL Developer, it becomes increasingky clear that this tool is completely unfit for intended purpose.

I am using SDDM for 1 year now and although there are some small not so well done issues I am quite satisfied with it. Our intented purpose is to have one tool for

developing/adapting applications with ERDs and to produce the DDL scripts for our developers. And this job is done well with SDDM. And don't forget the price as Kent said.

I then attempted to generate a DDL export of the resulting schema without success ; it just accepted my parameters  then appeared

to just loose interest and stop exceuting , without producing anything.

Bordering on useless .  

By the way we have about 55 schemas and 2700+ entities and tables.

Wanting to generate DDL scripts for 1600 tables at once and then complaining makes me doubt your credibility.

In connection with Oracle and our needs I haven't found a better tool than SDDM!

• 3. Re: Can't get DDL generator to work.
              Philip Stoyanov-Oracle

Hi,

thanks for feedback.

As I become with more familiar with Orable SQL Developer

Does it mean you can tell us which version you are using. Any problems logged in log file? Its default location in standalone version is datamodeler\datamodeler\log.

It's taken me over an hour to reverse-engineer a 1600-table schema today

What database do you use? What drivers?

task that would take 5-10 minutes in Powerdesigner

Did you run the same import using PowerDesigner and the same conditions (database and network)?

Philip

• 4. Re: Can't get DDL generator to work.
                user8093006

Kent, It's free for a good reason.

I've just tried to generate my DDL scripts - for about the tenth time.

It's failed to terminate each statement with ";"  and keeps on creating objects I've told it not to - e.g. indexes for non-existent tables.

This tool is a complete LEMON

• 5. Re: Can't get DDL generator to work.
                  David Last-Oracle

Hi,

Which version of Data Modeler are you using?  What type of database are you generating DDL for?

It would help if you could provide more detail about the problems you are finding.

It's failed to terminate each statement with ";"

Please can you give an example where this is occurring.

It keeps on creating objects I've told it not to - e.g. indexes for non-existent tables.

Again an example would help

David

• 6. Re: Can't get DDL generator to work.
                    Kent Graziano

Seriously, whoever you are, if you would like help in using the tool, you really need to answer our questions about what version you are using (go to Help -> About) to start. You may be running a very old, early version - I have seen several folks where I work TODAY that thought they had the current version but were running a 1.x version - because that was what got installed by default with some set of Oracle software. Once we got them updated, the tool worked much better.

So instead of bashing the tool, help us to help you by answering our questions.

(Unless you would rather continue to be frustrated and angry...)