This discussion is archived
2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2013 12:57 AM by Priyasagi RSS

Major diff. between formula column and placeholder column

3004 Newbie
Currently Being Moderated
Hi,
But can anyone please tell me what is the major difference between formula column and placeholder column. In both, we can make use of SQL code and then use that column for any of the fields in the layout. But what is the exact difference.
Can anybody help me?
Thanks in advance.

Veena.
  • 1. Major diff. between formula column and placeholder column
    3004 Newbie
    Hi,
    One Basic difference -
    Formula Columns are equivalent to Functions... They need to have a return value in their definition. whereas Placeholders can be equated to temporary Variables ? that U might declare to hold values.. and use globally in the report.

Another thing,
    U can set the values of other placehodlers/Formula Columns in a Formula Column But U can't use a Placeholder to set the value of other place holders and formula Columns...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by veena_b_shetty@yahoo.com:
    Hi,
    But can anyone please tell me what is the major difference between formula column and placeholder column. In both, we can make use of SQL code and then use that column for any of the fields in the layout. But what is the exact difference.
    Can anybody help me?
    Thanks in advance.

Veena.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

null
  • 2. Re: Major diff. between formula column and placeholder column
    Priyasagi Pro

Hi Veena,

The following discussion will be helpful to you.

difference between place holders and formulas ?