4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 10, 2013 6:35 AM by EdStevens RSS

One SID with multiple schema's

Hi,

I have Oracle 11g DB in my windows machine.

I would like to know can one SID be used to create/ run multiple schema.

EX: Same SID for oracle UCM & Oracle OIM.

Thanks...

• 1. Re: One SID with multiple schema's
          DK2010

Hi,

>>I would like to know can one SID be used to create/ run multiple schema.

Yes,

If You have sid/database UCM ==> You can create multiple schemas

database/sid(OIM)==>You can create multiple schemes with same name in UCM

HTH

• 2. Re: One SID with multiple schema's
            Hemant K Chitale

One database can run multiple schemas.  But I would check with Oracle support if UCM and OIM  (I assume that these are Oracle products) can co-exist in the same database.

Hemant K Chitale

• 3. Re: One SID with multiple schema's
              Aman....

769ef988-f626-416d-bc9e-ed053414d841 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks...

What happens when you  try to create two schemas with the same name and also, did you find any command where you are assigning a SID by yourself to a schema? If yes, can you please share it with us?

Aman....

• 4. Re: One SID with multiple schema's
                EdStevens

769ef988-f626-416d-bc9e-ed053414d841 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks...

Sounds like you are trying to apply SQLServer thinking to Oracle.  If so, don't.  When approaching Oracle, you need to check everything you learned from SQL Server at the door.

A schema is nothing more than a name space belonging to a user.  Surely you don't find it remarkable that a database can have multiple users.  So, with multiple users comes multiple name spaces and, hence, collections of objects unique to each name space/user.  Voila!  Multiple schemas.

It's reallly a mis-conception to think of "running" a schema.  That's kind of like saying I "run" my file cabinet.

============================================================================

BTW, it would be really helpful if you would go to your profile and give yourself a recognizable name.  It doesn't have to be your real name, just something that looks like a real name.  Who says my name is really Ed Stevens?  But at least when people see that on a message they have a recognizable identity.  Unlike the system generated name of 'ed0f625b-6857-4956-9b66-da280b7cf3a2', which is like going to the pub with a bag over your head.

============================================================================