4 Replies Latest reply: Sep 14, 2013 11:01 AM by Denzz RSS

How can I use the property of a non-related node in a formula?

user507190

Hello Experts,

I need some help with a formula.  I want to set a property to 'Y' based on the following conditions:

Node = XX_1234 - this is the node whose property we want to update to 'Y'

Node = 1234 lives somewhere else in the same hierarchy.  Node 1234 has a property called Custom.XX_Account and based on certain conditions this property can be NULL or it could be 'populated with XX_1234 in the case of my example.

I want to set the property flag = 'Y' for node XX_1234 when Custom.XX_Account property for node 1234 = 'XX_1234'.

I know I can substring off the 'XX_' from my node (XX_1234) but I don't know how to find a property of a different (non-related) node.

Assistance and recommendations are greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

• 1. Re: How can I use the property of a non-related node in a formula?
          DRMRocks

Didn’t get you exactly, but you can consider using the below, which may help you to give some direction,

If (AND(NodeInHier(1234,’Hierarchy_Name’),equals(string,NodePropValue(1234,Custom.XX_Account),XX_1234)),Y,XXX)

XXX - whatever the value you wish to return in the else case.

Thanks!

• 2. Re: How can I use the property of a non-related node in a formula?
            user507190

This is very helpful.  I've been screwing around with it so let me clarify a little more.  I want this to be dynamic. I can't hard code any node names into the formula.

Does this help?

Looking at node XX_1234   

Property Export_DW = Y (for node XX_1234)

when

Node 1234 (different node in the hierarchy)

with Property XX_Account = XX_1234

I don't even know if this type of formula is possible.  I could handle it in SQL in a heartbeat and then just create an action script to upload but I don't have a staging area just yet.....

Many thanks!

• 3. Re: How can I use the property of a non-related node in a formula?
              DRMRocks

Need to check, something I have in mind at present ( even I didn't like it, if nothing works out this might be helpful:-) ),Create a validation of class "Hierarchy contains all where Prop = TRUE" and use it part of a export, If exort contains any records, write a batch to execute an Action script with required property update, will see if I can come up with something over the weekend!

• 4. Re: How can I use the property of a non-related node in a formula?
                Denzz

Hello,

I believe having read your earlier two posts that on an account PQRS (Where P, Q, R, S are numbers) you have a property XX_Account( Where XX_ is a fixed prefix???) and this property can have only two values ( NULL or XX_Abbrev()).

If(And(

Equals(String,SubString(Abbrev(),1,3),XX_),

NodeInHier(SubString(Abbrev(),4,Length(Abbrev())),PropValue(Core.HierName))),

If(

Equals(String,NodePropValue(SubString(Abbrev(),4,Length(Abbrev())),Custom.XX_Account),Abbrev()),

Y,XXX),)

(Where XXX is the Else condition you wana specify)

I am hoping to have read your query correctly and that this helps.

Thanks

Denzz