1) Well you should be able to see the data types by default.What logical type(s) do you use for columns? Are you able to see data type names in the diagram? When you generate columns report from Search->Report do you see the data types?
2) Built-in reports (File->Reports) are what you see. You can include/exclude report sections, but you can not add/remove columns nor modify report structure.
Search->Report gives you opportunity to create report with random properties(columns) but it is working for single type objects i.e. columns, entities, domains etc.
You've got another option - create reporting repository and export designs. Then you can use third party tool to generate any kind of report against your designs.
Future enhancements for the reports will be provided in the next releases of Data Modeler.
Thanks for the immediate reply.
I checked on the DM again, the report comes good for the one which has the data type . But now all my data type changed to UNKNOWN and lokks like ,due to this my table report is coming without the "Data Type".
Can you please help me in fixing this unknown data type issue ?
Table report for the ones with proper Data type:
No Column Name PK FK M Data Type DT
Domain Name Formula
Security Abbreviation 1 ID1 Y NUMERIC (10) LT 2 SCRIPT Y VARCHAR (1024) LT 3 UPGRADE_S Y VARCHAR (10) LT 4 UPGRADE_D Y VARCHAR (250) LT 5 UPGRADING_F Y VARCHAR (20) LT 6 TIMESTAMP2 Y Timestamp LT
I'm not following you.
But now all my data type changed to UNKNOWN and lokks like ,due to this my table report is coming without the "Data Type".
What do you mean "changed to UNKNOWN", are they somehow changed by themselves or you have changed them?
If some column has UNKNOWN data type the relevant cell in the report is empty. That's normal.
Are you saying that for particular column you have UNKNOWN data type and the cell in the report contains size or precision or value without the name of the data type?
You got it right.
for the report without datatype, the data type in my relational is "UNKNOWN".
I haven't changed , but now all the table's data type are "Unknown".
I checked a little more on it and found that in my "TYPES ADMINISTRATION" only unknown is there and the defaulttypes xml file is empty. So I copied the new one.
So the new design has the data type, but for the one which I want to generate its still "Unknown". I think I saved them with UNKNOWN. :-(
O, now I see what's going on. I was able to reproduce it.
Column data types are UNKNOWN, because the file \datamodeler\types\types.xml is empty or missing. If you provide the file and restart DM your old design will be loaded correctly if you have not modified and saved it while types.xml was empty/missing. If you have saved it - can't help you, sorry.
The report will be fixed (not to show size,precision,scale without data type), but I would not say this is a bug, since types.xml should be there in the first place.
Yes, I saved it .
But I have never deleted the contents or the types.xml , checking on how it got emptied .
I got one error that the DM is not pointing to the default system directory.
I have few DM directories, so it could have mixed up with anyone of it.
Thanks for looking into this.