This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2013 1:03 AM by Dimitar Slavov RSS

Data Modeler : Modifying the Table Report layout

Sri Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi ,

I'm using SQL Data Modeler (DM) 4.0 EA .

I used the File -> reports option to generate the reports on Table and in the report

1) I couldn't see the column data type ? (Refer below table ) , Is there any options to bring on the Data Type in the Report ?

No

Column Name

PK

FK

M

Data Type

DT

kind

Domain Name

Formula

(Default Value)

Security

Abbreviation

ID1

P

Y

(10)

LT

ID2

F

Y

(10)

LT

ID3

Y

(1)

LT

ID4

Y

(10)

LT

ID5

F

(20,4)

LT

2) In options to manage the Table report (Reports -> Manage). Currently I can only remove a heading (like Descriptions Notes ,columns,column comments.). Is there is any way to customize the report in such a way that I can remove some columns (mostly the empty ones) from the report and add the column comments along with the column table than a new column comments table.

Please let me know  ,is there is an option to customize the report .

Note: I even tried generating the report using the search then report , but it doesn't give a complete report (i was only able to generate a report on column or table name or constraints , not all together.)

Thanks,

Srinivasan.K

• 1. Re: Data Modeler : Modifying the Table Report layout
    Dimitar Slavov Journeyer

Hi,

1) Well you should be able to see the data types by default.What logical type(s) do you use for columns? Are you able to see data type names in the diagram? When you generate columns report from Search->Report do you see the data types?

2) Built-in reports (File->Reports) are what you see. You can include/exclude report sections, but you can not add/remove columns nor modify report structure.

Search->Report gives you opportunity to create report with random properties(columns) but it is working for single type objects i.e. columns, entities, domains etc.

You've got another option - create reporting repository and export designs. Then you can use third party tool to generate any kind of report against your designs.

Future enhancements for the reports will be provided in the next releases of Data Modeler.

• 2. Re: Data Modeler : Modifying the Table Report layout
    Sri Newbie

Thanks for the immediate reply.

I checked on the DM again, the report comes good for the one which has the data type . But now all my data type changed to UNKNOWN and lokks like ,due to this my table report is coming without the "Data Type".

Can you please help me in fixing this unknown data type issue ?

Table report for the ones with proper Data type:

Columns

NoColumn NamePKFKMData TypeDT
    kind
    Domain NameFormula
    (Default Value)
    SecurityAbbreviation
    1ID1 YNUMERIC (10)LT
    2SCRIPT YVARCHAR (1024)LT
    3UPGRADE_S YVARCHAR (10)LT
    4UPGRADE_D YVARCHAR (250)LT
    5UPGRADING_F YVARCHAR (20)LT
    6TIMESTAMP2 YTimestampLT
  • 3. Re: Data Modeler : Modifying the Table Report layout
    Dimitar Slavov Journeyer

I'm not following you.

But now all my data type changed to UNKNOWN and lokks like ,due to this my table report is coming without the "Data Type".

What do you mean "changed to UNKNOWN", are they somehow changed by themselves or you have changed them?

If some column has UNKNOWN data type the relevant cell in the report is empty. That's normal.

Are you saying that for particular column you have UNKNOWN data type and the cell in the report contains size or precision or value without the name of the data type?

• 4. Re: Data Modeler : Modifying the Table Report layout
    Sri Newbie

Hi Dimitar,

You got it right.

for the report without datatype, the data type in my relational is "UNKNOWN".

I haven't changed , but now all the table's data type are "Unknown".

I checked a little more on it and found that in my "TYPES ADMINISTRATION" only unknown is there and the defaulttypes xml file is empty. So I copied the new one.

So the new design has the data type, but for the one which I want to generate its still "Unknown". I think I saved them with UNKNOWN. :-(

Thanks,

Srinivasan.

• 5. Re: Data Modeler : Modifying the Table Report layout
    Dimitar Slavov Journeyer

Hi Srinivasan,

O, now I see what's going on. I was able to reproduce it.

Column data types are UNKNOWN, because the file \datamodeler\types\types.xml is empty or missing. If you provide the file and restart DM your old design will be loaded correctly if you have not modified and saved it while types.xml was empty/missing. If you have saved it - can't help you, sorry.

The report will be fixed (not to show size,precision,scale without data type), but I would not say this is a bug, since types.xml should be there in the first place.

• 6. Re: Data Modeler : Modifying the Table Report layout
    Sri Newbie

Yes, I saved it .

But I have never deleted the contents or the types.xml , checking on how it got emptied .

I got one error that the DM is not pointing to the default system directory.

I have few DM directories, so it could have mixed up with anyone of it.

Thanks for looking into this.

-- Srinivasan.K

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points