5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 18, 2013 3:09 PM by PDX_kar RSS

Bummer!  I failed the 1Z0-851 (Java 6 Professional)!  What is the pass rate for this exam?

PDX_kar

Drat! After about 160 hours of studying for the OCP Java SE 6 Programmer Exam 1Z0-851, I failed it with a score of 50%. I'm going to take it again in about a month, after I try to shore up my understanding of the 25 different objectives about which I missed one or more questions.

My question is, does anyone know where to obtain statistics in regard to what percentage of people who take the exam fail it the first time? Does Oracle publish this information, or someone else? There is a group of us who sat for the exam, and out of the seven of us, three of us didn't pass. I am curious if this is the average pass rate for the exam. Yes, I am hoping to make myself feel better if I can see that only half or so pass the exam on their first attempt (or perhaps I will be horrified to find that most people pass it their first time!) Does anyone know of a reliable resource that I can use to satisfy my morbid curiosity?

As a side note, are there any additional study aides that anyone who succeeded recommends? I've been using the SCJP book (Sierra/Bates) which is super-excellent, the CD that came with it, and the Practice Exams book by the same authors. They are all labeled as being for exam 310-065 but that is the same thing as the 1Z0-851...uh, right? I did notice that the practice questions and exams were less similar to the real exam's questions than I expected. Am I maybe using the wrong tools to prepare? (I can't pay the thousands of dollars for the Oracle exam training package. I'd rather that money go towards my next certification attempt...Java7 or MySQL or something else cool.)

Thanks!