The first place to look at when you have errors like this is security. If you are using filters then check whether those users have correct filters.
Another check is to see whether there is a POV limit.
Hi, thanks for you hint.
I'm sorry but can you describe where can i find those filters/limits?
I'm only infrastructure admin and don't work much with hyperion.
i've admin rights.
The users who have the problem have the following rights:
Default Application Group - Sender, Auditor 1, Auditor 2, Auditor 3
FDM - Extended 9
HFM - Standard
You may also have to look to what all applications / databases it is connecting to and does the user has access on that applications. I think if the user does not have access to those applications then it might not work
I assigned the same rights on another account of me, and i could open the reports without problems.
Hello i found this thread before but it does not help.
I setup a new User in native directory and gave him ALL rights and roles.
The error occured again for the new user.
I found the manageuserpov.cmd tool and exported the pov, changed it to the same like the admin account where the report works and imported the .xml.
There are no errors when importing, but if i export again the pov is still the same like before the import.
Do i have to restart something to take effect?
I had the same issue a few weeks ago... not sure how it happened but it was related only with my username.
In order to fix it:
1. I created a report which does not require to select the scenario in advance. Try to use the default data-grid that you get when you first create a report for example.
2. When the user runs the report, try to see if he can see the dimension. Do not use the missing dimension on rows or columns. If he can see the dimension, ask him to select one scenario. This will solve the issue.
3. If he cannot see the dimension, try to change the layout of the report.
I temporary activated to select UserPOV every time.
The dimension is not showed for the users with the problem.
I forwarded you suggestion to the creator of the report and will update the thread if this helped.
Let me know what's the outcome. I am interested to figure out what happened because it was not possible to re-create the issue in my system.
We don't know why the problem occured but we recreated the user accounts and now it works.
Thanks for you help.