This discussion is archived
6 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2013 11:47 AM by user8531750 RSS

JAVASCRIPT FUNCTION TO FETCH A ROW VALUES FROM AN INTERACTIVE REPORT

Kanishkaa Newbie
Currently Being Moderated

Hi all,

i hav used an interactive report  and a right click plugin over this report. if i right click on a particular row in a report, i want that row values to be fetched and shown for editing purposes... so in javascript function how to make changes accordingly ?

http://documentation.devexpress.com/#AspNet/DevExpressWebASPxGridViewScriptsASPxClientGridView_GetRowValuestopic    similar to this example, instead of getting images nor notes, i wanted that particular row alone to be fetched, so that i can edit it..

can somebody pls help me out...

thanks in advance

• 1. Re: JAVASCRIPT FUNCTION TO FETCH A ROW VALUES FROM AN INTERACTIVE REPORT
    Tom Petrus Expert

The title screams a bit at us, doesn't it... Netiquette dictates that thou shall not use caps to draw attention, and all-caps are the real-life equivalent of shouting. That's not nice, is it?

Furthermore, what exactly do you expect from us? No offense, but if you google "oracle apex editable interactive report" or something like "oracle apex ajax tabular forms" you'll find material. And are you familiar with Apex? If you are then you know this is no standard component or functionality by far. Thus that suggests a lot of customized code. Do you know apex enough to tackle that? Are you familiar with javascript/jquery and ajax techniques? Those are core components to understand what you would like to do.

Why would you push it that far? What is your reason for not using the report-form setup? If you want it in one page, have you taken a look at modal page solutions?

• 2. Re: JAVASCRIPT FUNCTION TO FETCH A ROW VALUES FROM AN INTERACTIVE REPORT
    Kanishkaa Newbie

hi TomPetrus,

ma intention was not to scream nor to shout at anyone. wen i started typing, capslock was on and i dinn think it as an issue then , so left it. hereafter i ll avoid typing in caps.

i am new to apex , its been 2 months. i know few concepts in apex.

i dono javascript.

but then i wanted now a javascript function which will be used to fetch a single row value from an interactive report , so that i can edit it.

especially i need JS function bz, i hav used right clik plugin for redirecting to another page, alert messages, along with these options i also needed an option as edit, upon which i click , a single row value ll be fetched , so tat it can be edited.

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/ablxhelp/v8r4m0/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.db2.abx.rpt.doc%2Freport107.htm   from this i came to know,  getRowValues function can also be used in JS for fetching rows.

but while linking with apex, i dono how to use it

pls  help me out...

( i hope am clear in ma question )

thanks in advance

• 3. Re: JAVASCRIPT FUNCTION TO FETCH A ROW VALUES FROM AN INTERACTIVE REPORT
    Tom Petrus Expert

Don't stretch yourself. You say you're pretty new to apex and you don't know javascript, yet you are looking at implementing a complex system with javascript in apex. Small steps first. Toy with javascript but don't search for an extreme like this. Have you considered what is required to make your suggested solution requires? Your first link points us to ASP and the second one to Blox builder - even though there is javascript code in there that is by no means at all a guarantee that this will work in an apex page. To make javascript work you need to learn that and learn how your page is constructed (ie read html) and work with the developer tools.

So, why do you "need" to have the ability to edit rows inline? Is this a requirement or is this your own plaything? If this is a requirement then reconsider before you start to bite off more than you can chew. If this is to play around, then there are better topics to start at: if inline ajax-enabled editable reports were so easy they could be explained in one post they would have been implemented already or strewn all over the community sites and blogs.

If you really must edit a page without popping another window or redirect, then take a look at a modal dialog solution, for example using the - Dynamic Action Plugin - SkillBuilders Modal Page to do this. There is enough customizability, looks good, and allows you to simply use another page which can serve as an edit screen and thus use all the apex functionalities like computations/validations/processes...

• 4. Re: JAVASCRIPT FUNCTION TO FETCH A ROW VALUES FROM AN INTERACTIVE REPORT
    Kanishkaa Newbie

its the requirement Tom

http://apex.oracle.com/pls/apex/f?p=71510:1:103384547533299 (username: test; paswrd:apex14gm) here i hav tried using right click options

1. redirecting to different pages according to the option selected

2. to get the individual row values in an alert message. (page 3 in this link)

now the requirement is, instead of  individual rows getting fetched in an alert message i wanted them to be fetched in a new page or like  a modal  page of - Dynamic Action Plugin - SkillBuilders Modal Page, so that i can edit the entries.(this requirement is based entirely on right click )

since i don hav any knowledge in javascript, i dono how to fetch a row value (that too linking with apex its from an interactive report)...

or pls suggest me any other solution for tis issue. and as i said using right click it has to be done  : (

thanks in advance

• 5. Re: JAVASCRIPT FUNCTION TO FETCH A ROW VALUES FROM AN INTERACTIVE REPORT
    Tom Petrus Expert

What I would suggest is to first go to the skillbuilders website and get the plugin. It has good documentation so that is a great help, but you can also find a webinar there which you can watch and goes over all the basics of implementing this plugin. For instance it will show you how to use it to show a detail page of a record when the column link is used in a report. Doing that will give you a good basic grasp of it, and you're a bit closer to your goal. You'll also see that you simply don't need javascript to access row values in your report. (There are enough pitfalls there for newbies that can and will make your life very hard) I can't just ramble this off nor build the complete solution.

And what's up with the requirement? If you're new and got sold to do this, then there is/was no clear view of both your skillset and the technical properties of apex. I would really consider talking with who you are building this for so you could perhaps use the column link with the plugin. That is a combination of a standard feature and a widely-used well-documented plugin, while a right-click menu with associated code is a deal of custom code. Talk with them. Don't sell features which you don't feel you can attain at this point in time or are not comfortable with. Argument with maintainability.

• 6. Re: JAVASCRIPT FUNCTION TO FETCH A ROW VALUES FROM AN INTERACTIVE REPORT
    user8531750 Newbie

Thanks Tom.

All the SkillBuilders APEX plug-ins can be found here www.skillbuilders.com/apexplugins

All the SkillBuilders APEX webinars / free tutorials , including the Modal page tutorial, can be found here.  www.skillbuilders.com/ApexTutorials

hth

Dave Anderson

SkillBuilders

Legend

• Correct Answers - 10 points
  • Helpful Answers - 5 points