2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 13, 2013 8:48 AM by Gautam Kamath RSS

Endeca on windows 8

Gautam Kamath

Hi,

Im trying to install ATG10.2 integrated with Endeca 3.1.2 on my machine which has windows 8 operating system.

While installing platform services, it asks for the login credentials of a windows account which will be used while starting Endeca services.

When installing on Windows 7, i have always given the default administrator account's credentials and it has worked perfectly fine. But on Windows 8, it just doesn't accept the current account saying that the operating system didn't verify the account.

Now the Platform Services Installation Guide says that a new user has to be created with the username as 'endeca' which has administrator level rights. I did that too albeit i gave a different username. Putting the credentials of this account did the trick and platform services got installed.

Now while indexing, the batch component ConfigurationGeneratorForge fails. It displays a message saying that refer to '..\.\logs\forges\ConfigurationGeneratorForge on host ITLHost' file for logs. But when i open the log file, it is completely empty inside. Each time i run indexing, the log file's last modified time gets updated but nothing gets written inside. 

Infact only the application's main log ie '\logs\CRS.0.0.log' gets written. Following is the log:-

SEVERE: Batch component  'ConfigurationGeneratorForge' failed. Refer to component logs in C:\Endeca\EndecaApps\CRS\config\script\..\..\.\logs\forges\ConfigurationGeneratorForge on host ITLHost.

Occurred while executing line 39 of valid BeanShell script: 

[[

36|

37|        ConfigurationGeneratorForge.archiveLogDir();

38|

39|        ConfigurationGeneratorForge.run();

40|        

41|        CopyRecsearchConfig.run();

42|

]]

Sep 13, 2013 3:50:40 AM com.endeca.soleng.eac.toolkit.Controller execute

SEVERE: Caught an exception while invoking method 'run' on object 'BaselineUpdate'. Releasing locks.

java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)

at com.endeca.soleng.eac.toolkit.Controller.invokeRequestedMethod(Controller.java:917)

at com.endeca.soleng.eac.toolkit.Controller.execute(Controller.java:255)

at com.endeca.soleng.eac.toolkit.Controller.main(Controller.java:134)

Caused by: com.endeca.soleng.eac.toolkit.exception.AppControlException: Error executing valid BeanShell script.

at com.endeca.soleng.eac.toolkit.script.Script.runBeanShellScript(Script.java:179)

at com.endeca.soleng.eac.toolkit.script.Script.run(Script.java:127)

... 7 more

Caused by: com.endeca.soleng.eac.toolkit.exception.EacComponentControlException: Batch component  'ConfigurationGeneratorForge' failed. Refer to component logs in C:\Endeca\EndecaApps\CRS\config\script\..\..\.\logs\forges\ConfigurationGeneratorForge on host ITLHost.

at com.endeca.soleng.eac.toolkit.component.BatchComponent.run(BatchComponent.java:124)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)

at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)

at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)

at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)

at bsh.Reflect.invokeMethod(Unknown Source)

at bsh.Reflect.invokeObjectMethod(Unknown Source)

at bsh.Name.invokeMethod(Unknown Source)

at bsh.BSHMethodInvocation.eval(Unknown Source)

at bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(Unknown Source)

at bsh.BSHPrimaryExpression.eval(Unknown Source)

at bsh.BSHBlock.evalBlock(Unknown Source)

at bsh.BSHBlock.eval(Unknown Source)

at bsh.BSHBlock.eval(Unknown Source)

at bsh.BSHIfStatement.eval(Unknown Source)

at bsh.Interpreter.eval(Unknown Source)

at com.endeca.soleng.eac.toolkit.script.Script.runBeanShellScript(Script.java:165)

... 8 more

Sep 13, 2013 3:50:40 AM com.endeca.soleng.eac.toolkit.base.LockManager releaseLock

INFO: Released lock 'update_lock'.

I tried googling this error. The solutions suggested there were :-

1. checking if CAS directory's path contains forward slashes instead of backward slashes.

2. putting SLF4J jar in the classpath in application's environment.properties file.

3. making sure that all executables were run by using 'Run as administrator' option.

I have made sure all the 3 points mentioned above are in place. Still the problem persists.

Can anyone please help me on this? Has anyone successfully installed Endeca on Windows 8 yet? Is it compatible?

Other than compatibility issues(which is out of my control), the only thing that i did differently was i didn't give 'endeca' as the new Windows user's username. Is it absolutely necessary to give 'endeca' as the username?

Any help appreciated.

Regards,

Gautam

• 1. Re: Endeca on windows 8
          Branchbird-Dustin

Hi Gautam,

Based on my own personal research, Endeca Commerce will not work on Windows 8. The issue appears to be a Visual C++ runtime problem with the Forge 32 bit process and no amount of tweaking dlls fixed it for me. That being said, perhaps someone else had more success debugging than I did.

Cheers,

Dustin

• 2. Re: Endeca on windows 8
            Gautam Kamath

Woah! Thanks a lot Dustin!

I would have never guessed that the problem lies with the dlls. In fact, i'm curious as to how you managed to zero in on the problem.

Nevertheless, your reply was really helpful.

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Gautam