5 Replies Latest reply: Sep 16, 2013 9:00 AM by BrianPa RSS

Get Collection Names for "emctl control agent runcollection"-command

MaLau

Hi,

I have a really simple question, but until now I didn't find an answer by myself.

At the moment I test a lot with provisioning software and databases with Cloud Control.

When I install an agent on a new provisioning target machine it takes about 15 minutes (schedule of the metric collection) until cloud control knows everything about this host. (OS-version, etc.)

The provisioning will fail before cloud control knows these information because of several checks.

So I wanted to execute the collection of this information manually. Oracle Support told me to execute "emctl control agent runcollection <target_name>:<target_type> <collectionName>" on the target machine/agent.

So far so good, but how to get the correct Collection name? (e.g. I want to discover the information about the host which you can see when you navigate to a host home under the section configuration on the left side. ... Operating System,  File System(GB) , Memory Size(MB) )

Until now I was not able to find the correct collection names in MOS or in the Documenation.

Oracle® Enterprise Manager Framework, Host, and Services Metric Reference Manual

12c Release 1 (12.1.0.2.0)

Part Number E25162-04

http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24628_01/em.121/e25162/host.htm#BABIBAHD

Thanks & regards,

Martin

• 1. Re: Get Collection Names for "emctl control agent runcollection"-command
          DK2010

Hi,

You can find the collection name from here : $ORACLE_HOME/sysman/admin/default_collection

You can find no. of .xml files  you can open it and find the details.

Hope this help

• 2. Re: Get Collection Names for "emctl control agent runcollection"-command
            MaLau

Hi,

I think this is really difficult to find but I think the correct Collection for my problem is:

"ll_host_config" (not tested yet if it solvs my problem but the command itself works)

I found it here:

1. connect to your OMS-Server (or one OMS server if you have an multi OMS environment)

at first I tried to find default_collection directories (--> find $ORACLE_HOME -name default_collection)

2. One directory is "$ORACLE_HOME/ccr/sysman/plugins/default/agent/default_collection"  (my OMS ORACLE_HOME is /u00/app/oracle/product/MW_EM12102/oms)

3. I opened the file $ORACLE_HOME/ccr/sysman/plugins/default/agent/default_collection/host.xml and found the section

----------------------------

<TargetCollection META_VER="4.1" TYPE="host">

<!--generic-->

<CollectionItem AGENT_MODE="GC,OCM" CONFIG="TRUE" NAME="ll_host_config" TIMEOUT="3600" UPLOAD_ON_FETCH="TRUE">

<Schedule OFFSET_TYPE="INCREMENTAL">

<IntervalSchedule INTERVAL="24" TIME_UNIT="Hr"/>

</Schedule>

<MetricColl NAME="ECM_HW"/>

<MetricColl NAME="ECM_HW_CPU"/>

<MetricColl NAME="ECM_HW_IOCARD"/>

<MetricColl NAME="ECM_HW_NIC"/>

<MetricColl NAME="ECM_HW_NIC_BONDS"/>

<MetricColl NAME="ECM_OS"/>

<MetricColl NAME="ECM_OS_COMPONENT"/>

<MetricColl NAME="ECM_OS_FILESYSTEM"/>

<MetricColl NAME="ECM_OS_PROPERTY"/>

<MetricColl NAME="ECM_OS_MODULES"/>

<MetricColl NAME="ECM_OS_REGISTERED_SW"/>

<MetricColl NAME="ECM_OS_ULIMITS"/>

<MetricColl NAME="ECM_OS_INIT_SERVICES"/>

<MetricColl NAME="crs_act_soft_ver"/>

<MetricColl NAME="ECM_SERVICETAG_INSTANCES"/>

<MetricColl NAME="ECM_SERVICETAG_REGISTRY"/>

<MetricColl NAME="ECM_TARGET_VERSIONS"/>

<MetricColl NAME="ECM_INSTALLED_OS_PATCHES"/>

<MetricColl NAME="ECM_ASSOCIATIONS"/>

<MetricColl NAME="TARGET_UPDATE_INFO"/>

</CollectionItem>

----------------------------

4. The collection name can be found in this line: <CollectionItem AGENT_MODE="GC,OCM" CONFIG="TRUE" NAME="ll_host_config" TIMEOUT="3600" UPLOAD_ON_FETCH="TRUE">

5. run the command "emctl control agent runcollection myhost.int.kn:host ll_host_config" on your provisioning target host. (in the agent environment / emctl of the agent)

Thanks DK2010!

Regards,

Martin

• 3. Re: Get Collection Names for "emctl control agent runcollection"-command
              Davewolf-Oracle

If all you are wanting to do is force the collection of host configuration, you can easily do through the UI. From the host home page, Configuration->Last collected. From actions menu, select Refresh. This runs all configuration collections immediately and uploads it to repository. It will immediately be reflected in UI.

You can also do this for 1 or more hosts at a time by going to Enterprise->Configuration->Refresh Host Configuration....

No need to mess with the agent...

Hope this helps,

Dave

• 4. Re: Get Collection Names for "emctl control agent runcollection"-command
                MaLau

Thanks DaveWolf,

a very easy and fast solution for different targets (I had the same problem for a Oracle Home ... you are not able to patch it or use it to create a gold image until every configuration information is discovered).

Solution:

On the homepage of the target

<upper left pulldown menu> (normally it has the target type as name e.g. "Host" or "Oracle Home" ) --> Configuration --> Last collected --> "Actions" Pulldown-menu --> Refresh

Thanks & regards,

Martin

• 5. Re: Get Collection Names for "emctl control agent runcollection"-command
                  BrianPa

One other thing I like to try to identify a collection name is to just take a look at the agent's upcoming collection schedule:

oracle@host:~> $AGENT_HOME/bin/emctl status agent scheduler 

That will show a list of all upcoming collections, including the target name, target type, and collection name.  This doesn't help to identify the exact collection that you are looking for, but grepping through the output for, say, 'config' or 'security' can help narrow things down.